Interfacing ADS7230 ADC to Altera FPGA

Hi all,

I want to implement an ADC Interface for an ADC - ADS 7230 (TI) in VHDL. I am not very familiar with ADCs to implement it in VHDL. I already have an ADC Interface for a 10 bit ADC (MAX 1030) and a 12-bit ADC (LTC1407). Unfortunately these are in AHDL.

Is it possible to use any of the existing ADC interfaces and adapt it to suit ADS 7230 in AHDL itself? If yes, what are the necessary details I should look into from the data sheet to change the existing ADC interface available in AHDL?

Or do you have any other suggestions to implement an ADC interface in the quickest possible way?

Is there any link where I can get a reference of a 12-bit ADC in VHDL similar to ADS 7230?

Thank you!

AlexKrish

It looks like the ADS7230 uses an SPI interface for data and control. This is not a complex interface, but the ADS7230 looks like it is intended to be controlled by software in a processor. To control this from an FPGA you will need to design a state machine to initialize the appropriate registers before reading data samples.

The LTC1407 is much simpler with no control registers, just read the data. The MAX1030 has control registers, but they are not the same as the ADS7230, so I think you are going to need to design this interface yourself using available SPI code perhaps. Just think of the SPI like a UART, a vehicle for getting the data in and out of the ADC. You need to read about the registers and figure out how they need to be programmed for your application.

--

Rick
Reply to