Hold violations

Hi, I have an Altera FPGA, which shows hold violation on an input pin. The first FLOP is positive edge triggered and in IOB. To get rid of the roughly 2 ns margin in hold, i put -3ns phase shift in clock output of PLL that clocks the input register. Apparently this was ignored in hold time calculation. Can someone point out why ? A negative shift in clock should have made hold time better in this case.

Shardendu

Reply to
a2zasics

Hi Shardendu,

Which Altera FPGA are you using? You are right that shifting your clock backward should help the hold problem. It's hard to say what's going on here without seeing your design -- if you send it to me, or a small test case showing the problem behaviour, I can have someone look at it.

One thing to check: make sure you've set a Th = 0 constraint on this register if that's the constraint you want met. Without a constraint like that, Quartus won't be trying to ensure you get a 0 or negative hold time.

Vaughn Altera

Reply to
Vaughn Betz