Having trouble building an old Xilinx Spartan3 FPGA project I did on ISE 8.2i and EDK8.2 for microblaze. Also have ISE9.2i installed.

I'm trying to rebuild an old project I did on ISE8.2i. I reinstalled

8.2i on my PC. I also have 9.2i installed on the same PC. I don't know if they would conflict or not? My environment variable XILINX is point to ISE8.2. I'm using CoreGen to create quite a few ROMs, RAMs and FIFOs. CoreGen has a history of breaking things.

So, I did a cleanup project files to begin with. Everything else is unchanged. When I rebuild the project it is 20% larger than the original project was. My project will no longer fit in the part. Where is all of the extra bloat coming from?

Thanks for your help, Dale

Reply to
Dale

Something is different. Maybe the project file cleanup did it. I would look on the synthesis report and see if those ROMs, RAMs, and FIFOs are still in block ram.

-- Mike Treseler

Reply to
Mike Treseler

Checked these enviroment variables? set path = .. (executable path) setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH .. (library path) setenv XILINX .. ("home" path)

Reply to
sky465nm

I don't see the environment variables you mentioned except for the XILINX one and it's set to 8.2. To answer a few questions.

  • No, I have not opened the project in 9.2.
  • Yes, I have an archived version of the entire project including the ISE file. My ultimate goal is to make a slight change to the project w/out having to upgrade the project to 9.2 or 10.1. If EDK/ microblaze wasn't involved, I would just upgrade to the newest ISE release.
  • Yes, the service packs are updated to what they were including the IP library.
  • My top level is in ISE.

Thanks, Dale

Reply to
Dale

Have you opened this project in 9.2? Do you have an archived version of the .ise file? Is the service pack level the same (including IP) as it was when you did this project originally?

/Mikhail

Reply to
MM

Rename your 9.2 directory temporarily and you will know if it affects anything...

Since EDK is involved, where is your top level? In ISE or EDK?

/Mikhail

Reply to
MM

Check reports (.syr, .mrp) against archived ones ... if e.g. register counts have increased, consider that synthesis options (e.g. "equivalent-register-removal = yes" may have been changed in the re-install...

- Brian

Reply to
Brian Drummond