Xilinx ISE on remtoe Display

Hi All,

I'm trying to persuade xilinx ISE to display on a remote machine. ISE is installed on a solaris box, and I want to display the GUIS on a linux box.

I've got X11 forwarding over SSH working fine. but for some reason the project navigator just will not display.

Both coregen and floorplanner pop up fine.

I've got a feeling that Project Navigator is just refusing to work with a $DISPLAY set to anything other than :0

Has anyone else had this problem. Or better still, has anyone been able to get Project Navigator to display on a linux box over a remote connection from a solaris Box.

ISE 6.3i Solaris 9 Gentoo

Many thanks Andy

--
Dr. Andrew Greensted      Department of Electronics
Bio-Inspired Engineering  University of York, YO10 5DD, UK

Tel: +44(0)1904 432379    Mailto: ajg112@ohm.york.ac.uk
Fax: +44(0)1904 433224    Web: www.bioinspired.com/users/ajg112
Reply to
Andrew Greensted

If use use the xhost system, and manually set $DISPLAY project navigator works. So perhaps it just doesn't like the way SSH tunnels the X stuff.

Shame, I'd have preferred doing it over ssh

(BTW, I've spotted the comedy subject typo, too keen to get help I guess)

Andy

--
Dr. Andrew Greensted      Department of Electronics
Bio-Inspired Engineering  University of York, YO10 5DD, UK

Tel: +44(0)1904 432379    Mailto: ajg112@ohm.york.ac.uk
Fax: +44(0)1904 433224    Web: www.bioinspired.com/users/ajg112
Reply to
Andrew Greensted

I have ISE6.3 running on SuSE9.3, and it works fine over SSH. $DISPLAY is set to "localhost:13.0" for example, no other settings were neccessary in my case.

cu, Sean

Reply to
Sean Durkin

ISE works fine for me through an ssh tunnel but I've got Fedora Core 3 on both my server and my workstation, your problem could be Solaris related. I'm using the 7.1sp3 tools. The server is running 64 bit FC3, the workstation is running 32 bit FC3.

I do get the following warning when I start ISE but it doesn't seem to effect anything,

OLE API Function OleInitialize is not currently implemented. Further warnings will be suppressed

Reply to
Hiding in Plain Sight

snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net:

sean: > I have ISE6.3 running on SuSE9.3, and it works fine over SSH. $DISPLAY > is set to "localhost:13.0" for example, no other settings were > neccessary in my case.

That's encouraging. Perhaps I'll have a deeper dig around another time.

Until then everything is working fine with using the xauth approach. Luckily my workstation only has a single direct LAN connection to my display machine, so I can keep security tight.

I've been getting the same warning too, whether I'm displaying locally or remotely. I don't think it's important.

Andy

--
Dr. Andrew Greensted      Department of Electronics
Bio-Inspired Engineering  University of York, YO10 5DD, UK

Tel: +44(0)1904 432379    Mailto: ajg112@ohm.york.ac.uk
Fax: +44(0)1904 433224    Web: www.bioinspired.com/users/ajg112
Reply to
Andrew Greensted

Hi!

I cannot talk about ISE, but XPS works through ssh -X.

There is one thing worth mentioning it: if I try to run XPS on my local display (no remote usage), I have to set DISPLAY to ":0", but it is *not* working when DISPLAY is set to ":0.0" (which is the default on my debian system).

HTH

--
mail: adi@thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP: v2-key via keyserver

Win95 ist wirklich intelligent. Es macht immer das, was du nicht willst.
Reply to
Adrian Knoth

I have a FC3 desktop and am able to run ise from a RHEL3.0 server and forward it to my desktop. I use "ssh -Y". If ssh doesn't work for you, you can always use vncserver/vncviewer combination.

HTH, Jim

Reply to
Jim Wu

I had both 'X11 forwarding' and 'trusted X11 forwarding' enabled on a perhost basis in my ~/.ssh/config file, so that avoids the need for -X or -Y.

The thing that really confused/frustrated me though was that other applications happily displayed remotely. xclock, even coregen and floorplanner would pop-up, but the Project manager does nothing. Very odd.

Although VNC is a great tool, it is a little slow, and I've got everything working by opening up the X server and using xauth. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Andy

--
Dr. Andrew Greensted      Department of Electronics
Bio-Inspired Engineering  University of York, YO10 5DD, UK

Tel: +44(0)1904 432379    Mailto: ajg112@ohm.york.ac.uk
Fax: +44(0)1904 433224    Web: www.bioinspired.com/users/ajg112
Reply to
Andrew Greensted

After installing the latest Solaris Patch Cluster, I've been able to resolve this. Be warned though, one of the Solaris Patches breaks X11 Forwarding. You need to disable the IPv6 stuff to get it to work again. There's some info here:

Hope this helps someone. Andy