HardCopy cost

Does anyone know what the basic costs are of doing an Altera HardCopy cycle? If, say I had a Stratix EP1S40 design that I wanted to make using HardCopy, would there be an initial set cost then a low cost per device? If so what would the costs be?

TIA,

Roger.

Reply to
Roger

Hi Roger,

Yep. There's an NRE for the conversion process and the protos, then a greatly reduced price per production device. Note that the HC1S devices are not all 100% equivalent to their EP1S counterparts - try to migrate your design to a HC1S part in Quartus first.

Contact your local Altera salesperson for this. There's no price list for these projects.

Best regards,

Ben

Reply to
Ben Twijnstra

Thanks Ben, I'll take what you've said on board.

Rog.

Reply to
Roger

All:

Proceed with extreme CAUTION!

Stratix-2 Hardcopy is offered in two flavors:

  1. One that is pin compatible with the FPGA but doesn?t offer significant die-size and price reduction and
  2. The other that has a larger die size reduction (i.e. cost reduction), but does not maintain pin compatibility with the standard FPGA.

This kind of incompatibility between Altera?s FPGAs and their Hardcopy cousins is prevalent across product families. Across many devices in the Stratix family for instance, there exists a mismatch (between the standard FPGA and the Hardcopy version) in memory blocks, user I/Os and number of PLLs. These constraints can significantly hamper the ?conversion? process and present customers with nasty surprises at a critical juncture. The net result is higher development costs, unit cost and delayed time to market.

Austin

Reply to
Austin Lesea

are

Atmel has a similar program called ULC and that can be used regardless if it is Altera/Xilinx or whatever. You need to supply design data, test vectors and an order. If the design does not verify, using the test vectors, the customer does not pay anything, The ULC may or may not involve an NRE depending on technology and/or business level.

-- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson. Ulf at atmel dot com These comments are intended to be my own opinion and they may, or may not be shared by my employer, Atmel Nordic AB.

Reply to
Ulf Samuelsson

Austin,

I'm in a cranky mood due to dealing with a spuriously failing motherboard and this knee-jerk post of yours doesn't help either.

Roger is talking about a Stratix-1, which has a well established and proven design flow. Hardcopy II is not even fully there yet, as far as I, a lowly disti FAE from a postage-stamp-sized country, am aware of.

I'm even polite enough to quote you...

That's exactly why the HC 'virtual' parts were introduced into Quartus about a year and a half ago. If a customer has a hunch (s)he may want to go for Hardcopy later on, these devices can be used to test pin compatibility, timing and resource usage. If aforementioned customer runs into any incompatibilities at a critical juncture they have either (1) not listened to their Altera FAE, (2) not used the HC1Sxxx virtual device for prototyping, (3) use asynchronous design techniques, (4) not read the _very_ detailed design signoff checklist or (5) any of combination of the above.

There may be more sources of problems, but all of these fall into the category 'didn't we tell you?'. Altera is very focused on having Hardcopy designs to run first time and provides very strict design rules to adhere to before accepting a design for conversion.

Fuddyfuddyfuddy....

Note that I'm not making snide remarks about Xilinx's low-cost volume product. I could, but I won't.

Urgh... hope I'm in a better mood tomorrow...

Ben

Reply to
Ben Twijnstra

Thanks for everyone's contributions. I've been looking on the Altera web site and found from putting figures into a cost calculator that the NRE is $195,000 with a cut in the unit cost of up to 80%. That's how I read it anyway.

Rog.

Reply to
Roger