Email problem that isn't Eudora

I have a customer who is a large corporation and lately my emails to them a re not being delivered. I get messages that say ...

host alt4.aspmx.l.google.com [108.177.96.27] SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:: 450-4.2.1 The user you are trying to contact is receiving mail at a rat e that 450-4.2.1 prevents additional messages from being delivered. Please res end your 450-4.2.1 message at a later time. If the user is able to receive mail at that 450-4.2.1 time, your message will be delivered. For more information, p lease 450-4.2.1 visit 450 4.2.1

k1si18600

67eda.16 - gsmtp: retry timeout exceeded

I contacted my hosting provider who provides email service to me and they s ay they can't get anymore info than what is in the bounce message. I need to contact the customer. I don't think that is going to go very far. They are a large multi-national organization speaking English as a second langu age and similar issues tend to get a loud, "Huh?"

The strange thing is that the message comes from Google, so I'm guessing th ey are using Google for their email service. I guess that's not an impract ical solution. I can't say I fully understand the issue. My hosting provi der says it isn't our end that has the problem and of course I can send ema il to other recipients. Likewise I can send email to this customer from we b based accounts like Yahoo mail. They don't seem to be aware of the probl em, so I'm guessing I'm the only one affected like this.

Is anyone here familiar with sort of message and what could cause it? I no t only get it once, I've gotten this every day since Thursday for every ema il I've attempted to send to them. My provider says the errors are permane nt which means they don't retry to send the message, but how else would I g et multiple bounce replies? I need to ask them that.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Looks like Google Gsuite:

Your recipient is receiving over 500 messages per day, which automagically locks the account. See 3rd item.

I had a similar problem when one my customers irritated a spammer, and found his mailbox deluged with spam from a multitude of hijacked machines. The only effective solution was to have her change her email address. Google was moderately helpful in trying to stop the flood of spam, but apparently gave up after the email address change.

I have no idea what to do about the problem. Might as well start sending the recipient telegrams, telephone calls, or snail mail until they get the clue that it's their problem, not yours. Maybe send it to someone else at the company, and have them deliver a personalized printout to the recipient.

I've gotten really good phone support from Gsuite support. You probably won't get anywhere unless you're a Gsuite customer. So, subscribe to Gsuite, get setup for a 14 day free trial, and then call support complaining that you can't contact one specific email address that just happens to also be a Gsuite customer. See if that will get their attention.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Disposable email addresses. Give each employee the ability to generate their own email addresses and delete the ones that attract spam. Whenever they find they are receiving spam from a particular address, they can delete it and eliminate the problem.

Now they need to convey to their clients that an email address is deleted.

They can send the client a new email address, or by publishing a list of valid addresses that allow a client to contact them. They need an automatic reply to indicate an email was received or bounced.

Another method is a web page for each employee with a form to receive an email. Use a captcha that requires the sender to identify images with cars, street signs, busses, store fronts and other miscellaneous objects before sending the email.

This will discourage spam and possibly trivial email from those who really do not have anything to communicate.

Use both methods for high security. Private disposable addresses for trusted clients, and captcha for new clients.

Never publish an email address on a public web page. Spambots will pick it up and add it to the spam list. Instead, Obfuscate the email address with a service such as

I have used this technique for over 20 years and have never got any spam from publishing my address.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

I have 4096 gmail addresses for the same inbox.

Gmail addresses can have a full-stop between any pair of letters, and the email will get delivered to the same mailbox. So if you're a gmail user, use a long name (mine is first.last - 13 letters) so you get 2^(N-1) distinct email addresses to use for public subscriptions, one of which will be the one you tell your friends.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Gmail will also forward email. OTOH, Gmail reads everything sent through them so I have no idea why anyone would use them for corporate email (or personal, for that matter). I do give one out to businesses, though.

Reply to
krw

Methinks that's a bad idea. I have about 5 assorted Gmail addresses and have received a few of these Netflix based phishing attempts to my mailboxes in the gmail.com domain:

"The dots do matter: how to scam a Gmail user"

I agree with the author. There should be a way to opt out of this Gmail feature.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

m are not being delivered. I get messages that say ...

rate that

resend your

il at that

, please

60067eda.16 - gsmtp:
500 a day seems a bit low for someone in procurement. Some people use emai l instead of a phone, like teens do with text msgs.

It's not one address. It's everyone I've tried to contact at the company. They sent me a message with around 10 people on the distribution list and it bounced every single address. I wrote to two of them individually and t hey both bounced. Then I sent an email from a Yahoo account and it got thr ough just fine, so did a second one. It's not coincidence, there is someth ing wonky with my sending email to this domain. My provider says they can' t do anything about it until they are told "why the messages are bouncing" but they know why they are bouncing, I sen them the bounce messages. I gue ss they have no tools to research the problem from their end.

I'm not going to worry about it too much. The orders are complete and I ca n send the invoices through the Yahoo account. If they want to place any m ore orders they will need to fix the email problem.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

There is. Don't use gmail. You should have an email address assigned to your isp account. Use a disposable email service such as

to forward emails to that account. Now you can have a separate email address for each of your friends, clients, and web sites. You can tell where the spam is coming from and kill it.

If you are already getting spam on your isp address, get your isp to change your address and forward the disposable addresses to the new address.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

I screwed up. The 500 per day is for trial accounts. The real number is 2,000 outgoing and 10,000 incoming:

Something else must be broken. There's no way that everyone in the company would be receiving 500 or 10,000 messages per day.

Are you sending this company email from your Gmail account? If so, I'm fairly sure they're using Google Gsuite. If email from one Google service to another doesn't work, it's a fair guess that the problem is at Google, unless the recipients company has their own mail server. Using nslookup, the MX record shows their mail servers to be in Googland, so that's unlikely. Weird.

I've seen email systems where if one address on a distribution list is invalid or malformed, it bounces all the other addresses. However, that was long ago and I doubt if it's currently a problem. Having messages bounce with only one recipient also eliminates that possibility.

Any chance that your ISP mail server, domain, IP, or email address is on a blacklist? I was having that problem a few years ago, when one user on one of my domains was spewing spam. Since it was on a dynamic IP address, the entire domain was blacklisted, including me and my customers.

Like the ISP, I would need to see the entire header of a bounced message, not just the SMTP error message, to make a determination.

Well, that works if you're not planning on doing any repeat business with this client.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

No, I have my own domain name and use Eudora with my hosting provided email . Remember, I started with talking to my hosting provider who says there i s nothing they can do without more info from Google.

I wondered about that, I've had it too with a different hosting provider wi th less rigorous security. *Their* IP address was blacklisted and I had to bug them about fixing the spam problem and getting it off the list. But t he error message says "too many emails" not specifically from me either. M y hosting provider made it sound like the email bounce messages were accura te, so it isn't a blacklist issue.

Yeah, I'm not comfortable posting that here and it may be confusing. My em ail is going out through my server directly. But the messages come back th rough my server, actually the email is *from* my server but is routed throu gh the mail server, forwarded to Google for anti-spam function and back to my server where it is held in a mailbox for my client to pickup. That show s in the headers and confuses anyone who wants to weed through it. In this case it may make someone thing I am getting these messages from *my* Googl e account which isn't what is happening.

I get their emails. This time it took them a month to get the terms and co nditions signed. If they have to fix their email problems when they have a nother order for me that's on them. I've told them this is a problem and t hey will need to fix it before we can do further business.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

So far as I know this message is actually the truth. (some other email errors are lies)

People who use gmail are often unreachable by email. phone them and ask for a working email address.

Darn. If it's urgent maybe you need a translator.

Yeah, see "google suite"

Google says's they're getting too many emails in their inbox, and so is turning some away.

If it works from yahoo - that's interesting. Maybe you just got lucky - if you try enough the mail will get through. or maybe google has a special relationship with yahoo.

450 is a temporary error (all 4XX codes are temporary), and normally would be retried, but it's been persistently broken for more than however long the retry timeout is set to, and that's why they gave up, or didn't retry this last one.
--
    ?
Reply to

em are not being delivered. I get messages that say ...

rate that

resend your

ail at that

n, please

860067eda.16 - gsmtp:

But since it is unique to the combination of my domain and my customer thro ugh Google I'm wondering if there isn't something else that is wrong.

or a

You don't understand the situation. If they can receive emails from the ot her 1,000 people they have contact with in a week, why would they expect th e problem was their email address? Most likely they would just give me ano ther email at their domain and it would also not work for me.

It's not at all urgent now. But when they want to place another order they will be in a panic. Then maybe it will get more attention. The Yahoo acc ount I used to contact them now is only checked infrequently. I use it to keep in touch with domain name registrars and hosting accounts. But since I found myself irrevocably locked out of one of my Yahoo accounts simply be cause I didn't access it in a few months, I may need to switch to someone e lse.

Sounds good, but why is this happening and why isn't it affecting anyone el se who they communicate with? If it was happening to all their emails duri ng the timeout period, I can't believe they would be fixing it.

Every email from my hosting account has bounced (around half a dozen) and e very email I've sent from Yahoo has not (five). I think that is statistica lly significant. If the odds for any one message were 50/50 it means we ar e in the 1 in 2000 range for the group. If the odds for a single message a re different the odds for the group would be much higher.

My hosting support guy initially said they were "permanent" and not retried but when I pointed out I got daily bounce messages from each outbound emai l he said he was mistaken and removed them from the queue manually.

I won't be giving this further effort until I hear from my contact's IT dep artment.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

The error message says it should.

That seems fairly convincing evidence that yahoo is different to your hosting account.

But when I do tests from different domains and different IP addresses I always get the same error.

If I see this from gmail in SMTP

450-4.2.1 The user you are trying to contact is receiving mail at a rate that 450-4.2.1 prevents additional messages from being delivered. Please resend your 450-4.2.1 message at a later time. If the user is able to receive mail at that 450-4.2.1 time, your message will be delivered. For more information, please 450-4.2.1 visit 450 4.2.1
and retry (SMTP to google MX) from a completely different IP address I get the same error message. (or sometimes "The email account that you tried to reach is over quota." If I keep trying often the mail eventually gets delivered.

proabably the best move

--
     ?
Reply to

them are not being delivered. I get messages that say ...

t a rate that

ase resend your

e mail at that

tion, please

si1860067eda.16 - gsmtp:

through Google I'm wondering if there isn't something else that is wrong.

k for a

So? You believe the error message over the facts? I have sent email to ab out 10 addresses at their domain and *all 10* bounced the same way. So you think if they give me an eleventh email address it will work?

-

nd every email I've sent from Yahoo has not (five). I think that is statis tically significant. If the odds for any one message were 50/50 it means w e are in the 1 in 2000 range for the group. If the odds for a single messa ge are different the odds for the group would be much higher.

ting

lways get the same error.

that

nd your

t that

ease

t the

ivered.

What is your point? I think you are confusing the fact that the error mess age is the same as the one I am receiving with the idea that both errors ar e caused by the same problem. Don't confuse symptoms with problems. Many problems can map to the same error message.

department.

Well, I just got another order today. We'll see how it all plays out.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

I'm just saying I've never seen this error message behaving other than as it claims. Your situation is interesting to me because I do this stuff for a living, and I've never seen it go like that.

Maybe they have some setting on the gmail end that triggers when you use your regular address but not when you use yahoo. it could be that the destinaton mailbox (or boxes) is (or are) different even though the email address is the same. Or it could be that gmail is lying.

--
     ?
Reply to

We will likely never know. I didn't hear back from anyone and the problem seems to have gone away. Either they fixed it and are being silent about it or it fixed itself with some time out or reboot or something.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit