EDIF generation from C

Hello As I'd mentioned in one of my previous mails, I'm working on intrinsic evolution. I'd like to know if its possible to generate netlists in EDIF format from C itself for circuits, or will it be too complicated? Regards quad

Reply to
quad

Ohh.... I think it will be too complicated to generate EDIF netlist from C. We can look at the things this way.....Generating EDIF from C is like first generate VHDL/Verilog code from C and then generate EDIF from VHDL/Verilog RTL. Now generating EDIF from RTL itself is a big task as this is nothing but synthesis.

Anyways, there's no word like 'Impossible' in some dictionaries.

Regards,

Reply to
Amit

You can of course write a C-program that generates an EDIF netlsit. This is not very hard, as EDIF is a straight-forward ASCII-format. The standard is openly available and you can look at EDIF-files from standard examples in you FPGA toolkit. For circuits with a high degree of regularity or with many sophisticated parameters it makes sense to do so. But I would recommend you first to do some examples directly in VHDL/Verilog first so that you get a feeling, which structures are well suited for the tools.

Regards, Andreas

Reply to
acd

Hello Actually we have a timeframe constraint of about 3 months for the project. So wondering if generation of EDIF from C is possible within that timeframe, considering that this is just a module in the whole project. Would it be a better idea to pass parameters from C and use JHDL

to generate the netlist directly? Can JHDL code be made generic for all kinds of circuits? Regards Quad

Reply to
quad

It's pretty easy to generate EDIF if you already have a netlist data-structure suitable for your target in your program. However, if you are talking about synthesis of C code into a netlist it can be a very complicated task depending upon what subset of C you allow in your circuit description.

Petter

#include

int main(int argc,char* argv[]) { printf("(edif gate (edifVersion 2 0 0) (edifLevel 0)\n"); printf(" (keywordMap (keywordLevel 0))\n"); printf(" (status"); printf(" (written (timeStamp %d %d %d %d %d %d)\n",2007,1,11,23,17,18); printf(" (program \"%s\" (Version \"%4d.%02d\"))\n",argv[0],2007,1); printf(" (dataOrigin \"%s\") (author \"%s\")\n","comp.arch.fpga","Petter Gustad"); printf(" )\n"); printf(" )\n"); printf(")\n"); return 0; }

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?