GUI for ATMEL AVR

Hello,

I'm just an electronic hobbyist (and physic teacher). I'd like to make a sort of chronometer for my Go-Kart. It's working fine now (using WinAVR as C compiler for a microcontroller (uC) ATMEL AVR ATmega8535) but I use a character LCD display.

I would like to use a graphical LCD now. But I also would like to have some widgets (like in GTK) Unfortunately I don't know if it is possible to do it without a minimal Linux on the uC (I'm also fond of open source softwares and Linux... of course) I guess that having a Linux kernel is too much for a little 8 bits uC like ATMEL AVR. I hope you could help me for this.

Regards

Reply to
s.celles

Sorry I forget to add that there is no mouse or touchscreen so the GUI should be like the GUI of a phone or any embedded device that's to say that there is only - up/down/left/right buttons - ok button - cancel button

Reply to
s.celles

hi if u plan to use a graphical LCD, it'll have it's own frame buffer where u can write the image. The lcd will take care of displaying it. Each of the images of the ui will have to be stored or drawn in ur code..After that, it is just a matter of drawing the appropriate images for the ui. hope it helps Vinay

Reply to
vinay

You snipped, which is good. Having done so, why do you top-post? See the following links. Your reply belongs after (or intermixed with) the quoted material, after snipping. Also you should leave the attribution lines for material you quote.

--
 Some informative links:
Reply to

In article , " snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.undef" writes

In article , " snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.undef" writes

If it is that simple do your own.

Most GUI's are going to be far too big.

You can get some open source graphics libraries (not a GUI as such) but as with most open source they tend to target x86/ARM size Linux systems.

I suggest that you build your own simple system. Make it modular (use C) and you can use it again and again. This will be a useful project as a teacher and you can get the students to add components to the system.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chris Hills

You should check out. eZLCD at

It is a display module that would accept serial commands from the AVR. If this is a protoype (i.e. your only going to build a few) this would be the way to go. Unless you want the challege of writing your own display driver and have some comercial possibilities for your project.

The eZLCD isn't very cheap, $150 in single peices.

Noritake also has some very cool VFD serial graphical modules, but again they are spendy.

Is another good place to look for display modules.

ERIC

Reply to
Eric

You should check out. eZLCD at

It is a display module that would accept serial commands from the AVR. If this is a protoype (i.e. your only going to build a few) this would be the way to go. Unless you want the challege of writing your own display driver and have some comercial possibilities for your project.

The eZLCD isn't very cheap, $150 in single peices.

Noritake also has some very cool VFD serial graphical modules, but again they are spendy.

Is another good place to look for display modules.

ERIC

Reply to
Eric

As youve indicated the 8535 has a 8 bit MPU with 8Kb of flash and 512 bytes of RAM, so running the Linux kernel, a X windows client-server as well as apps is out of the question. Even if this hardware was more capable and a kernel port was already available, running embedded Linux to implement a graphical timer would be over kill. Embedded Linux shines in a number of area's especially in devices where network support is needed.

You can find 'C' source for bresham's line drawing algorithim as well as any other graphical algorithim you'll need on the net. Your only real hurdle is finding suitable LCD panel and others have made some good suggestions.

Good Luck.

Chris

Reply to
machinamentum

My spelling was not even close, try

's_line_algorithm

Reply to
machinamentum

Yes I agree with you I can get a driver for the controller of a LCD... That's not the problem...

The problem is not about drawing "primitive" function such as drawing lines, or text... It's ever done

In fact the problem is to have a minimal GUI with **widgets**.

There is some commercial lib for this See for example :

GUI pour d'autres OS embarqu=E9s GUI pour d'autres OS embarqu=E9s Biblioth=E8ques LCD (haut niveau)

PEG emWin ...

For example such a lib could contain callback function for managing event

Reply to
s.celles

Yes that's the problem...

This is quite difficult to do it because the problem of GUI is quite difficult I must think to make possible to use callback function for managing events (like in GTK+) I had a look at the GTK+ but that's very difficult for me to understand it...

I'm not a computer science teacher... I only do it as a hobby ;-)

Reply to
s.celles

I also know

but that's not the problem.

The problem is not about drawing lines, drawing text...

The problem is about making a true GUI like emWin PEG (have a look at my other posts)

Regards

Reply to
s.celles

Thanks for this but my problem is not about drawing lines it is about drawing widgets, managing event like in other GUI (GTK+, QT, FLTK...)

emWin or PEG or PEG+ can do it but I would like a free (an open source) lib for this

Regards

Reply to
s.celles

the lib should also be able to manage focus on widget.

The focus change on key press

The lib should also contain a text widget (usable only with directional key)

Reply to
s.celles