standard files formats..?

Hello, I'm just beginning to work on a new personnal project that could eventually lead me to write a schematic editor. well, I know it's a complex task and I know that I won't have enough time to go to the end, but the goal is to learn new things in a pleasant way and that will just do it. and for now, I'm just collecting infos on different subjects.

so my question here is about the files formats used most currently for netlists and for schematic components library. I did several searches and found different things for netlists about EDIF that is standardized, but I will have to pay to have the documentations (I will have a look to see if I can find a book at a correct price).

there's also the PADS-PCB format wich seems to be simpler and recognized by many softwares and for wich I already found more infos.

and the PSPICE format for wich there is infos anywhere..

so, is there now some different files formats that I should consider..? does the EDIF format have many improvement compare to the PADS-PCB one..?

I didn't made many searches yet about schematic library file format.. is it the Orcad file format that is find more currently on component makers webpages or is there others ones..? (I also see Cadence, Mentor, AXEL on Texas Instruments pages..).

Thanks .. Fred

Reply to
Fred*

well, I'm also still learning English language (I'm French). think I should have said "everywhere" here, instead of "anywhere".. Sorry.

Reply to
Fred*

Will we see it on SourceForge? ...or are you trying to make a buck of off this?

When I see you reinvent-the-wheel types, I always want to ask, "Have you investigated gEDA and KiCAD? Is there something in their philosophies that makes you want to start from zero instead of contributing to a project with momentum?"

It appears that the ECAD industry grudgingly assembled a "standard" then did everything they could to assure its death.

*-*-created-by-*-*-COMMITTEE+*-*-almost-the-same-effort+they-all-think-*-they're-Microsoft+*-Software-companies-don't-want-you-*-*-*-to-translate-between-tools+zzz+*-nasty-cost+3rd-party-*+turf-battle+Pulsonix-*-*-*-*-*-EDIF

Perhaps you meant to use *advantages* there. I haven't ever used a package that supports EDIF, but the *interchange* thing seems appealing.

:Fred* wrote: :I'm also still learning [the] English language (I'm French) : Yes, the singular/plural thing still needs work

--but I've seen worse from folks for whom English is ostensibly their native language.

An old thing I like: If you speak 3 languages, you're trilingual. If you speak 2 languages, you're bilingual. If you speak 1 language, you're American.

Reply to
JeffM

Hello, well, I surely don't want to reinvent the wheel. as I said, that's essentialy for learning purpose (I'm coming back to Windows programming,with C# and as I didn't find a schematic software that really please me...). and there will probably never be something visible from this work, free or not.. (but of course if I got something to show it will be free and probably open source). I have many things to learn or remember before being able to really contribute to an existing open source project. and if I can do the different things I want to try, I could re-use my work for example to make a file importer/converter (for netlists or schematics) for an existing project..

and I know gEDA, KiCAD, FreePCB, TinyCAD, SCORE,.. I like SCORE, but it's still in early development (I tried to contact the developer, but his email is always full and rejecting new mail.. will try again later).

concerning your link about EDIF, that's reflecting what I already found about it.. :-(

Thanks. Fred.

Reply to
Fred*