Dual-port and single-port BlockRAM instantiation

Hi all,

I am working with a 1 million gate Virtex II FPGA. I am instantiating large amounts of Block RAMs in my design and even though I am using Single-Port ones, I would like to know if there would be a trouble to instantiate them as Dual-Port ones. I mean, would it need twice the Block RAMs I am using now, or would it just configure them as Dual-Port?

Thanks,

Arkaitz.

Reply to
arkaitz

Peter Alfke

Your tools may combine two single port memories into one dual-port if the memory sizes are compatible. By instantiating the dual-port, you no longer have the option of the combination. The tool flow you use may not take advantage of this packing anyway, so the point might be moot.

Check what your BlockRAM usage is - see if the tools are already implementing two single-port memories in a dual-port. As long as the total number of BlockRAMs you infer and instatiate fit within the available number of BlockRAMs for the device, you're set.

RAMs

Reply to
John_H

Reply to
Peter Alfke

It should use the same amount of block ram whether configured as single or dual ported RAM. You can look at the log to be sure how many block ram are actually utilized.

Reply to
Will

Thanks a lot for your help.

Best regards,