Does the XC3S250E-VQ100 exist?

I have an application that is very space limited, and would like to use a Spartan XC3S250E in the VQ100 package. Even this package has more I/O than I need. (I need a lot of logic, but communication is via SPI and RS232 - about 10 I/O total)

I can find the 3S100E's in this package from most distributors, but not the 3S250E.

I only need four total, and I could probably squeeze a TQ144 package in if I got creative with parts placement, but the PQ208 absolutely won't fit.

Also, since these are prototypes, I would like avoid BGA's. The cost to have them fitted is just too high.

BTW - if anyone from Xilinx is reading this, this is why it would be nice if your online store was actually a "store", and not just a link to Avnet and Nu Horizons.

Thanks!

Reply to
radarman

Complain loud and complain often...

I did the same for the XC3S500E in PQ208 on Electronica 2006, Embedded World

2007 and in this group and now the forecast on digikey promises the parts to be available on April 21...

But probably totaly unrelated...

Uwe Bonnes

looks like xilinx marketing people are doing a horrible job, I have a product with XC3S400 in PQ pakage, but can't get it from anywhere, Altera seems much better, if switching parts is not your concern, altera has plenty of pq144, pq208 pakage to choose from. jet

Reply to
jetq88

This is where a distributor/sales contact (distributor FAE, for instance) can really help out. Even if you're "small potatoes" for their business, they should be able to tell you about availability. The online store

*would* be a tremendous resource if it was in a usable state.
Reply to
John_H

Yea... for non-BGA packages - Altera seems to give you more logic.

If you're really stuck on Xilinx, I'd pick up the phone and call Avnet (or whoever their equivalent is if you're not in the US) to find out what's actually available. Often, all the configurations listed aren't actually produced unless they have orders for them.

If you're not stuck on Xilinx - look into Altera. And don't limit yourself, check out the smaller guys too - lattice semiconductor has a pretty decent non-BGA offering as well.

text -

Reply to
Paul

text -

Without the VQ100 package, Altera does appear to be the better chip at this end of the spectrum. Not only does it have more equivalent gates, but if I'm reading the datasheet right, it only needs two supply voltages - 3.3v and 1.2v. That will cut an extra switcher from the board, which somewhat makes up for the larger package.

Plus, Digikey is carrying both the 2c5 and 2c8 in the TQ144 package in stock.

Reply to
radarman

radarman wrote: ...

If the 2.5 Volt is only needed for VCCAUX in the XC3S, there is no need for a switcher. Quiecent current is well below 100 mA even for a XC3S1600E and well suited for a low drop regulator from 2.5V

Uwe Bonnes