CIC - Hogenauer glitch

Hello All

I'm doing a Digital DownConverter application with an overall sampling rate reduction of 640. We want to use a so called CIC or Hogenauer filter for the first decimate by 10 then follow with five decimate-by-2 halfband filters to get 640. We are using a Xilinx VirtexII XC2V6000 to implement the hardware.

We planned on using the Xilinx Coregen core for the Cascade Integrator Comb CIC filter but I am finding peculiar glitches in its output. The parameters for the filter are R=decimation=10, N=stages=4, M=difference delay=1, Bin=input width=15.

I wrote a simulation testbench that sweeps a linear FM chirp accross the entire input Nyquist range and records the output data to a file. Every 1500 output samples there is a notable glitch of magnitude -30dB with respect to the filter full scale output. I keep input amplitude less than half what the input port should be able to handle (+-8192 into 15 bit port)

Thinking that the core was bad I wrote my own CIC filter from the Hogenauer filter and it has exactly the same characteristics. With my own filter I can look at the internal integrators and differentiators and the glitches occur where there are general direction changes in the stage registers but with all that accumulator overflow going on its hard to analyze.

Has anyone else encountered this general glitching with CIC filters? Can you see a systematic way to analyze such a problem?

If interested I can share my filter design and testbench.

Regards,

Pete Dudley

Reply to
pete dudley

Pete, Check your chirp generator. Does it do something funny every 1500 samples? If you've done the CIC filter properly, as I'm sure you know, it'll be the same as cascaded boxcar filters. You could compare your design's output with that of 4 cascaded boxcars to see if the glitch is still there. CICs work fine for me! Good luck mate, Syms.

rate

the

hardware.

Comb

parameters

1500

the

Hogenauer

can

occur

you

Reply to
Symon

--

--Ray Andraka, P.E. President, the Andraka Consulting Group, Inc.

401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950 email snipped-for-privacy@andraka.com

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Reply to
Ray Andraka

|N*R|^M). The

your