Camera Link to XUP V2Pro Board

Hello,

I'm wanting to perform some image processing on a development boar available at my university, Xilinx University Program Virtex-2 pro boar (Digilent).

I'm using a couple of camera link based cameras, currently using frame-grabber and PC to perform the processing.

My question is has anyone worked with camera link (or channel link signals on this type of board? Are there any add-on modules that will mak life easier, or will it be a case of building my own interface on the boar taking signals directly from the camera link connectors?

ANY help i'd be very grateful.

Kind regards

Marc.

Reply to
MJ Pearson

here's a nice picture of the camera link bit serialization (pg 8)

You will have to see if there are lvds deserilizers on the xup board ... Probably Xilinx will have some answers on their website. Look up the device data sheet and the voltage i/o standards supported by the device. The schematic port names may also provide useful hints as to available ports and functionality.

If there are no ports specifically dedicated as lvds deserializers but you do have lvds ports, you can write your own deserializer block (although it has to meet timing at 7x the camera clock)

send the input clock into a DCM or PLL and run the output at 7x, then use this clock to run a shift register to shift in the 7x serialized data For camera link there are 4 lvds pairs, for a total of 28 bits of serialized data, so it you can write this easily as 4 7 bit registers, that shift in a new data bit on each 7x clock. You may have to play with the phase shift of the 7x clock with respect to the 1x camera clock, in order to sample each bit in the eye of the data... just pay attention to the line valid and frame valid bits, if you are getting errors recovering these move the 7x clock phase shift around until you get them to look correct, then the rest of the pixel data bits will also be sampled at the right time as well...

--hope this helps

MJ Pears> Hello,

Reply to
wallge