FPGA development board with digital image camera

Hi,

I will do some research on video/image processing on FPGA. I will design VHDL codes for some video/image processing algorithms. I needs a FPGA development board with a big FPGA chip on it. I also hope it can be connected with a digital camera or image sensor with real-time image access into the board. It's better if the image in RGB format and input to the board frame by frame.

Does any one know where there exist this kind of FPGA development board or not? If not, any suggestion should be really appreciated.

Thanks Michael

Reply to
hongying meng

"hongying meng" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:dn6p4m$m8m$ snipped-for-privacy@pump1.york.ac.uk...

there are lots of board that can be used but the connectors to the camera are pretty much non standard so you might end up getting an camera and then making an connector adapter to connect the camera to the FPGA board.

the digital cameras do not usually have direct RGB output but that is no big deal the format conversion can be done in the FPGA input stage.

So lookup your camera, check you can get the connector (sometimes they are hard to get!) and choose your FPGA board that you like

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

Thank you very much for your message!

I have got one camera which is BenQ DC1300. It can be connected to PC by USB port. I think there might be some FPGA boards with USB connection. But I am not sure whether these board can connected with this DC1300 or not?

By the way, if there are some camera can be connected to an FPGA development board, I would like to buy both of them.

Thanks

Reply to
Michael

Check out Xilinx:

Virtex-4 Video Starter Kit (HW-V4SX35-VIDEO-SK-US)

This seems to have an RGB image sensor built in.

Gabor

thats a nice bundle, yes.

the FPGA board is actually a ML402 what costs far less as standalone board

the micron camera that should be bundled is RGB camera, but its interface does not deliver RGB as parallel, there is some multiplexing required anyway.

funnily the camera chip is not on the video daughter board (or nor clearly visible) also there seems to be no suitable connector for the camera and there is no other info so I wonder where the image sensor is hidden?

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

Pixel Velocity makes a 'Brilliant Camera' with an AltaSens HDTV color sensor, Virtex2Pro XC2VP20, XC2VP30 or XC2VP50, 10/100 or Gigabit Etghernet and runs embedded Linux.

Joe Samson
Pixel Velocity
Reply to
Joseph Samson

or

:) possible less expensive and with design sources c verilog schematice available for downloads for FREE

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

Thank you so much! I think it is a very good board for me. But I am not sure the following three things:

  1. Will the image signal be got in the memory of the FPGA board? RGB or other format?Need I design some FPGA module for them?
  2. For this board, is the price including the daughter board?
  3. For using this FPGA design, any extra software needed for downloading or writing? Thanks again

Michael

On a sunny day (Wed, 7 Dec 2005 13:47:03 -0000) it happened "hongying meng" wrote in :

You could consider buying a webcam with ethernet rj45 interface. These have a build in web server (I use D-Link DCS-900) (

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Hi Michael,

The Xilinx University Program Xilinx XUP Virtex II Pro Development System (XUPV2P) has a add-on video card the VDEC-1 which accepts composite, component, or S-Video input. A reference design to start with is under Demonstrations and Reference Designs on the XUPV2P page:

A direct link to the VDEC-1:

Good Luck!

Paul

h>

Reply to
Paul Hartke

"Paul Hartke" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@Stanford.EDU...

Paul,

that type of Video decoder does _not_ work with cmos/digital image sensor at all but otherwise the board is good at the university price :)

antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

KROS Technologies now has available a daughter card for the Nios II Cyclone II dev board (the board has an EP2C35 FPGA; a nice medium-density cyclone II device):

The card includes color LCD touch panel, a small camera, and some very interesting example designs.

Jesse Kempa Altera jkempa -#at#- altera -#dot#- com

Reply to
kempaj