Bus interface - read, write signals

Typical bus interface consists of CS, ADDR, DATA, RD and WR signals. The bus transfer type designator may be whether read or write, not both simulataneously. That is, RD and WR are mutually exclusive. Why do most bus interfaces separate read and write signals?

Reply to
valentin tihomirov

It's probably left over from directly interfacing to ROMs or SRAMs or Flash chips. It's easy to build small/simple logic if you use the trailing edge of RD or WR as the clock. Think of something like a printer port and look in your old (ancient) data books for TTL/LS era parts.

If you only have one of RD and WR, then you also need a clock.

You might try to use CS as the clock, but the access time on ROM/RAMs from CS is usually (much) longer than the access time from RD. (CS typically shifts the whole chip into low power mode. It takes a while to wake up again.)

Hal Murray

you missed bus idle...

bus

bus