Beginers Question ModelSim Signals

What are the procedures for adding signals to the simulation? I have been going to the SIGNALS pane, and clicking on add to wave signals in design. Then, since that seems to give me everything, I start deleting most of them. Seems inefficient. Also what does region mean in add signal in region? I also tried to save dataset, but when I loaded the file back, nothing seemed to happen. Is this all suppose to be done with the wavedo files?

b r a d @ a i v i s i o n . c o m

Reply to
Brad Smallridge

-- Mike Treseler

Reply to
mike_treseler

Select the ones you want in "Signals" before clicking "Add".

- Brian

Reply to
Brian Drummond

I think the easiest way is from the command line:

add wave -hex top/module1/submodule/signal1

When you add all the signals you want, update your 'wave.do' file and then just execute 'do wave.do' before the start of the next simulation.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Neilson

Reply to
Brad Smallridge

Somehow I saved something in wave.do but I don't remember how. This has got to be the most cryptic set of windows and patch-on programming I have ever seen. I guess the strategy is to save several do files as you go along and hope for the best? What is the initial do file. I saw something in the tutorial about an ini file. Where does that live? And does Xilinx launch a do file from it's environment to bring up all these windows and libraries?

Reply to
Brad Smallridge

It's been a while since I've used Modelsim, but I think if you open the Hieraki/structure or what ever its called in Modelsim, and click on a submodule the signals in that submodule should then be in the signals window

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

What I do: 1. Go to the signals window and ADD the signals in the design to "Wave" and "List." This will add all of the design's signals (all entities). 2. Go to the procedures and variables windows, go to every module were you have variables in the procedures window, then select the variables in the variables window, and add the variables to "wave" and "list" 3. Go to the list window, and save the dataset as "mylist.do" 4. Go to the Wave window, arrange the signals the way you want, rename them if it makes it easier to read, change colors if you want, etc. Then save the file "mywave.do" 5. If you launched Modelsim from another program, like Actel's Libero, or Xilinx's Webpack for example, you may have a file called "run.do" which has the commands for modelsim to compile the design along with the testbench. Just copy that file into a new one (like "myrun.do"), and append the following lines (change it accordingly): view wave view list run mywave.do run mylist.do run 6000ns

So, now you may use the file "myrun.do" to run your simulation the way you want, with all the signals, variables, colors, order, etc. that you saved. You may run it from Modelsim's command line as : "run myrun.do" or you may be able to set the third party program (libero, webpack, etc.) to use your custom file instead of the generic one.

Good luck.

Reply to
dave

You can also type add wave * in the command window, and it will add all signals from your testbench. cheers Roman

Reply to
Roman

Thanks, Dave, that's the sort of strategy I was looking for.

Reply to
Brad Smallridge