Altera "my support" :-(

We have been working with Xilinx parts for the past 4 years. Whenever I had problem the local FAE couldn't solve I used the Xilinx WEB case system. I always got very fast and professional response, usually within the same working day.

Recently we decided to use Altera Cyclone part in a new design. When we ran into problems I opened a web case using "Altera's my support". After two days of silence I added an update explaining why the problem is urgent. After 10 days !!! I got the first response asking for the name of the local FAE and providing no more information. I answered the question and in exchange I got email saying "your service request will be closed" .

Did anyone else had this kind , maybe better ?, experience with Altera web support ? I think that as FPGAs become more and more complicated, and design cycles shorter, the support level is becoming one of the key factors when selecting an FPGA.

Cheers, Rotem

Reply to
Rotem Gazit

Hi Rotem,

absolutly not, my experience isn't so bad. I get answers from mySupport within the same working day (as far it is possible over the Atlantic ocean ;-))

Marc

Reply to
Marc

For Altera technical problems, I call the FAE. He calls back the same day, and sometimes knows the answer. He has a direct line to support if he doesn't.

The Altera web site has good docs and FAQs, but I only enter a web case if I have a well-defined reproducable bug.

I agree. FPGAs are just a big bag of gates and flops. Design decisions are now mostly based on service.

-- Mike Treseler

Reply to
Mike Treseler

OH yea, this sounds like the support I get when using the web site. My FAE is very good so I have switched over to calling him first. Good luck, I think you are going to need it.

Reply to
Jerry

I'm in the middle of a similar situation. I just reported a fatal, reproducible error on "My Support." Once the tech was able to reproduce the error, his response was that the bug would be "fixed in a future version..." Case closed.

He also said that he successfully tested the design using the integrated FPGA Compiler II tool (I'm using Precision) and recommended that approach as a workaround. I tried it and found that my utilization jumped from ~75% with Precision to 116% with the integrated synthesis.

Needless to say, I am not impressed.

Joe

------------------------------------------------------------ Joe G. Thompson Phone: (603) 512-9003 snipped-for-privacy@advancedprinciples.com Fax: (208) 730-5713

Reply to
Joe Thompson

Just remember that support people get graded on how quickly they close cases, not how "well" they close them (as least as far as I can tell). And this is not limited to Altera. Speed is clearly the primary evaluation of support at most companies.

Joe Thomps>

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
removed.

rickman

Rick,

Not true at Xilinx. Closing a case that is unresolved with an unhappy customer is potentially grounds for disciplinary action.

That is why I am the volunteer 'lightning rod' for such complaints. I am not interested in disciplining folks, but rather in improving the service that is offered (find the problem: fix it).

Aust> Just remember that support people get graded on how quickly they close

Reply to
Austin Lesea