Altera Active Serial

hi folks ... when using the Cyclones with the EPCS4 flash configuration chip and active serial mode ... I'd like to use the extra memory space to store a memory image ... so all I need to do is read or write it in a big block .. so yes i have done this with Nios but this is too much overhead in a small cyclone device simply to copy an image from the flash to an external ram .. anyone know how to read the flash without using nios ? kb

Reply to
Khim Bittle

Hi Khim, As I understand things, the Altera flash memory devices are based upon standard serial flash devices (ST microelectronics ?). Hence you would program these devices as you would any normal serial memory device. You only have yo be careful that you do not overwrite your configuration data.

The Altera Cyclone data sheets have the relevant information you are looking, including the memory maps of the configuration and user spaces.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Popoola

EPCS1 == M25P10 EPCS4 == M25P40

standard serial flash from

altera is only ordering them them with custom lables printed :)

the problem accessing the config memory from non-nios applications is that quartus doesnt allow assignments to pins DATA0 and DCLK so it is not possible to access the config flash memory.

there must be some internal trick that altera software uses but this seems to be "Altera undocumented"

Antti Lukats xilin.openchip.org

Reply to
Antti Lukats

data.

Antti, any idea what the relative cost of the ST part is?

Altera say they've developed the AS devices for low cost configuration, but low quantity prices for the EPCS4 in the UK are £8 ish, not what I'd call cheap.

Nial Stewart

------------------------------------------------ Nial Stewart Developments Ltd FPGA and High Speed Digital Design

Nial Stewart

would

You

OK, so I got off my own arse and looked up the prices.

DigikeyUK list them at £2.93 one off, down to £1.44 for 1000, they're probably cheaper in the States.

Time to spend a bit of time perusing data sheets I think.

Writing Altera's logo on them must be expensive :-(

Nial

------------------------------------------------ Nial Stewart Developments Ltd FPGA and High Speed Digital Design

Nial Stewart

thanks for the response , you are correct , the problem is not how the memory chips work but how to manipulate dclk/data0 without nios ... ( i don't think quartus will let me at them ?) ... i haven't given up yet .. KB

Reply to
Khim Bittle

[snip]

instantiating ASMI Block from VHDL code :) Antti xilinx.openchip.org

Reply to
Antti Lukats

If you have a pre-made board then I can see how this can be a problem. However if you are developing a custom board it is not two difficult to multiplex the dclk/data0 pins with user I/O pins to have full control over the serial memory devices.

Reply to
Ben Popoola

Ben there is no need to modify the board, see my posting a special cyclone primitive "amsiblock" can be instantiated and that gives full control as needed to read write the config memory. no separate wiring needed

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

I have now seen your posting and you are right. However, how widely available is this information?

Ben

Reply to
Ben Popoola

antti ... thanks for the link , KB

Reply to
Khim Bittle

yes my fall back plan was to use two additional pins ... but for the smaller cost critical cyclone designs using the 144 pins package I/O pins are gold and not having to waste two pins is a big deal to me ... thanks anyway, regards, KB

Reply to
Khim Bittle

it is available to ANYONE who has installed Quartus on their machine just look at the libraries - I needed some 30 minutes to "derive" this information. as I dont have any Cyclone device or board, I can not verify in the hardware what the asmiblock ports actually do, but this is the way NIOS does it, and it is available for user logic, so it should be used.

A promise - if any one is kind to support openchip with Cyclone target board I will instantly check it out how to access the ASMI port from user logic and publish this information, keeping special "thanks" notice to the donator of the board - dallaslogic are you listening ? :)

ok, promise is promise, I possible do it sooner or later, if I dont have board handy then possible later as I have some other things also in que.

antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

hardware

and

board

of

Well found Antti, I had a good dig around Quartus and the SOPC installation and missed this.

I also asked an Altera FAE could this be done, he checked with the States and the answer was...

"Response from Altera is- No the only ASMI component that we have contains an Avalon interface. You could copy the asmi VHDL component from a Nios project to a new project that does not contain a Nios core and the customer could access the component with their own logic. However, this is not supported by Altera and the customer would need to do this at their own risk"

If the cyclone_asmiblock works it'll be much simpler than what they've suggested.

I'll try it on my Cyclone PCI board if I get time, but that's not likely to be in the next week or two.

Good work.

Nial

------------------------------------------------ Nial Stewart Developments Ltd FPGA and High Speed Digital Design Cyclone based 'Easy PCI' proto board

Nial Stewart