3/2 with virtex 300

Hi,

I use a Virtex XCV300 I would like to do : a multi *3 and a div /2 with a clk = 32 MHz. (I would like to obtain a freq = 48 MHz)

Can you help me !!. Thanks and regards,

Benoit.

Reply to
HB

Benoit, You could double your 32MHz with a DLL to get 64MHz. Then use a clock enable to select just 3 out of four clocks. You don't mind a little jitter do you? Better still, (and I write this in the style of Mr. Alfke ;-)) the Virtex part to a museum sell, and a modern FPGA with a DCM get. Cheers, Syms.

Reply to
Symon

I would suggest using a small external clock multiplier like the

8-p> Benoit,
Reply to
Gabor

HB,

In Virtex, the DLL may be used for mutliply by 2. That gets you to 64 MHz. Then a subsequent DLL may be used for divide by 1.5 to get 48 MHz.

Or, you may use a /1.5 circuit made out of FF's and a LUT.

Aust> Hi,

Reply to
Austin Lesea

Would be a great solution, except that, sadly, 64MHz divided by 1.5 is

42.667 MHz, or thereabouts. Cheers, Syms.
Reply to
Symon

So it is....

Looks like getting 48 MHz from 32 MHz is not going to be as easy as it first appears!

What kind of output duty cycle and max jitter is needed?

Aust>

Reply to
Austin Lesea

I need a choice between 2 solutions :

first solution: I can use a Freq=48MHz to create a 32MHz (multi *2, and div 3). But the signal for this freq isn't locate at a clock PIN (old card, so I can't change the PINOUT). This signal is locate PIN number AA4 in a Virtex XCV300-FG456). I have some problems to use DLL and BUF. Is someone could help me (use DLL and/or BUF without dedicated clk pin) !!.

second solution: I can use a Freq=32MHz to create a 48MHz (multi*3, and div 2). But it very difficult to have this multi *3 !.

I need a clk with a good precision, and if possible with around 50/50 of duty cycle.

THANKS LOT for your help. Any suggestion will appreciate. Regards.

Benoit.

"Austin Lesea" a écrit dans le message news: dnl3hk$ snipped-for-privacy@xco-news.xilinx.com...

Reply to
HB

Benoit, This is the way to go. You can use any pin as an input clock. IIRC you may need to instantiate an IBUF and the DLL/GBUF in your code. There must be examples of this in previous postings here and in Xilinx's documentation. Cheers, Syms.

Reply to
Symon

Gee, that sounds a lot like the GV associates board I used for the Radar project shown in the gallery page of my website (the one with the CPU fans on the FPGAs). In that case, there was a 48MHz clock for a USB interface chip that was also connected to the FPGA, but not through a clock pin and we had a separate clock oscillator that came through another pin (I think it was 66 MHz).

If you aren't worried about the relative phase of the 32 and 48 Mhz clocks, you can bring the 48 Mhz clock in through the non-clock pin and use general routing resources to get it to a DLL. From there you can do the divide by 1.5 to get 32 MHz.

I'd have to do some digging through the archives to find the clock module for that design, but the point is you don't necessarily have to bring the clock in on a clock pin if you aren't worried about clock skew.

Reply to
Ray Andraka

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your answer. I take an interest in your example. Can you send me the file.vhd with the clk rom your project. My problem is : I use with success the DLL in my project, but only for a free place and route. When I try to write a file.ucf with this dedicated pin "aa4" for my CLK, ISE (Version7.1) stop with error at the mapping. (need to use IBUF or other...)

I aren't worried about the relative phase of the 32 and 48 Mhz clocks, but I would like to have duty cycle around 50% (40/60 max).

Thanks for your help.

Benoit.

"Ray Andraka" a écrit dans le message news: ldHnf.5079$rB5.1219@dukeread01...

Reply to
HB

I don't have the vhdl handy at the moment. You need to change your input buffer from an IBUFG to an IBUF to be able to place it on an arbitrary pin. You probably don't need to place anything else, nor do anything else special.

Reply to
Ray Andraka

Benoit, You need to learn how to search Google groups! ;-) Look here for example code:-

HTH, Syms

Reply to
Symon