24 Counters on one board

Hello everyone,

I am a totally newbie with FPGA, I really need some help for our project.

We have 24 simple digital signals, and we want to build a FPGA-Board to take count of the pulses of each digital signal, so it runs just like 24 counters, and the results should be transfered to PC with a USB-Interface.

I have found pretty much information about FPGA, but I really don't know which is suitable for this job. Could someone give me some suggestions (e.g which type, which mark, the price and so on)? I very appreciate for any help.

Le P.S: What we need is a design-kit, because maybe we could program more functions on it in the future.

Reply to
Le.Wang

Most any modern ram based (Xilinx or Altera, others) FPGA should handle 24 counters at frequencies up to 100 MHz or more.

I plugged some likely words into a search engine

and quickly found this:

I've never done business with this company. You might find something cheaper, larger, closer to home, easier to use, etc. Spending some time searching the web would be worthwhile.

--
Phil Hays to reply solve: phil_hays at not(coldmail) dot com
 If not cold then hot

You need to specify the width ( how many bits ) in each counter and the expected MAX pulse rate. That tells you how much resource you need for the front end, at a minimum. Then, you might want to buffer this, so a read captures the whole counter into another latch - this avoids counter-change-during-read problems. This might fit in larger CPLDs like Altera MAXII or Lattice MachXO. [The MachXO can support their Mico8 small CPU ]

For the back end (USB) you could use a small uC with USB, or a USB-Serial chip (FDTI, SiLabs etc). Maxim have posted data on a nice MAX 3420 SPI-USB bridge device, that needs minimal SW support, and is much faster than the RS232 ones.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

there are quite a few spartan 3 demo boards out there with LCD displays, 100 base-T and USB on board... sounds like a simple solution ?? I just got one from Memec for less than a grand with a spartan 3 1500

Of course .. you have to build software and hardware drivers for each interface. Not exactly trivial to a newbe.

project.

take

(e.g

Reply to