Monitor shakes w/ UPS

Hi all,

I have a bit of a strange problem. I have a fairly new, fairly high quality 19" monitor that sometime suffers from an annoying "shake". Usually it's most noticible in the upper left corner, but sometimes it occurs around the entire perimiter of the screen. I recently connected it to a SmartUPS 700, but the problem will still occur. I even connected a 500 joules surge protector to the outlet which the UPS connects to, but the problem STILL occurs. I've taken the monitor to other locations and the problem does not happen. I live in an old building (>75 yrs old), and I'm betting the wiring is also very old. Things like turning on the washer/dryer set this off.

What else can I do to prevent this from happening? Is the APC SmartUPS

700 simply not powerful enough to "condition" the line? I know the UPS works in terms of being able to keep my equipment online when there is no AC power, but it does not appear to be helping w/ preventing these spikes/surges (correct terminology?) from reaching my monitor. For my own knowledge, why would this be the case?

Thanks for any insight...

joe.

Reply to
joe_macdonald25

I would look for an EM source bothering the monitor from the outside. For example, having electrical devices sitting too close to the face of the monitor. I have an electric pencil sharpener which, when activated, causes a terrible shake on the display screen - and it's sits about two feet from the monitor.

Reply to
Mark Hansen

The UPS does nothing useful to 'clean' AC power. Worse, in battery backup mode, the typical plug-in UPS outputs power so 'dirty' as to be harmful to power strip protectors. UPS manufacturers don't like to mention this because any electrical protection useful on the power cord is already inside that computer and monitor's power supplies. In short, you have assumed features in both that power strip and in that UPS that even their manufacturer's don't claim to provide.

Reply to
w_tom

Joe,

We had jitter problems in our monitors when we set them on top of a power distribution box. That was back in the eighties, and people don't use those power distribution boxes anymore, as far as I know. (They had a "master" on/off switch, and switches for the system unit, monitor, printer, and a few additional units. They were designed to sit between the system unit, usually horizontal back then, and the monitor.)

But the 60 Hz radiation from the box was too much for the monitor to bear.

Any-ho, look for any electrical appliances near your monitor - flourescent light, power strip, even an incandescent lamp.

It "may be" your building wiring. However, if the wiring uses cable (hot and neutral in a common sheath) instead of separate wires at some distance from each other (that predates even me - called "post and ??" or something), it is unlikely to create much of a magnetic field very far from the wires. More likely it is something much closer to the monitor.

Here is a clue - if the wires to-and-from the appliance or circuit are close together, the magnetic fields cancel each other a very short distance from the wires. If the wires are separated by a distance, as apparently they were inside the aforementioned box, they will radiate a

60 Hz magnetic field for some distance, potentially messing with that delicate stream of electrons hurrying from the "guns" at the back of the CRT to the precision phosphorescent dots on the face of the CRT.

-Howard

joe snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

it

connected

SmartUPS

UPS

is

my

Reply to
HedgeWarden

FYI: The older system is called "knob and post"; used until the late

1930's AFAIK. ************ AC power transformers near the monitor can also cause what is described.
Reply to
Robert Baer

"knob and post" might be another term...

Reply to
Robert Baer

A short Google suggests that "knob and post" and "knob and tube" are both correct terms for the old wiring that ran separate wires for the hot and common. They were strung in space, in my experience, between small ceramic insulators - in the same fashion as distribution wiring on power poles, but on a smaller 110/220V scale. It is the relatively large spacing between the wires that could cause stray magnetic fields some distance from them.

The point about transformers is great. Transformers operate using magnetic fields to transfer energy from one circuit to another. If they were 100% efficient, no magnetic energy would escape. But they are not. Even the relatively far weaker earth's magnetic field influences the path of electrons in a CRT - luckly it is a static influence and so does not create flicker. An unshielded or poorly shielded transformer close to a CRT will wreak havock on the image. Note that wall-warts are usually transformers in a plastic box.

-Howard

Reply to
HedgeWarden