LCD TV Buyers Beware...

Do not buy from digitalgear on Ebay!

I bought a Sharp Aquos 32" (LC-32G4U) from them over the phone (not on EBay directly) and the TV turned out to be defected. It's simply not working and has a little dent on the right speaker. However, they insist it is new and will not take it back until I talk to Sharp. Also, I thought I bought a 5-year extended warranty but the owner (Mr. Stevens) said it was a 4-year Platinum with 1-year manufacture warranty that made it a 5-year.

Since I didn't buy it off Ebay (major mistake), I can't leave any negative feedback on the site to warn people and have to do it here. Take my advise and stay away from them.

-Linus

Reply to
linus

Just a few questions. Why would buying it on eBay have helped, aside from negative feedback? Most internet sales sites are rated on ePinions or some other buying site so you could post negative comment there. Doesn't it seem reasonable to talk to Sharp first to see if it is some small problem they may easily fix. They (Sharp) seem reputable and may fix or exchange it free. No disrespect intended, but are you sure all the power cables are properly seated and electrical outlet has power?

The LC-32G4U is a fine LCD TV (I've seen them in action). Hope you get it working. Let us know.

George

snipped-for-privacy@technologist.com wrote:

Reply to
George

You bought it from a person., There are good and bad people in the real world, as well as on Ebay. Moron.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Take them to small claims court; the cost is about $50 and lawyers are

*not* allowed. Have all of your evidence together; full chronological listing of what happened (who = names, how = as accurate as possible, and when); be as complete as possible. That listing is your guide for presentation in court - so that you do not forget anything and do not add unrelated stuff. The Uniform Commercial Code states that anything sold must be fit for the purposes it was made for (except "as-is" items). Legally, the seller must make good by (a) replacing the defective item, (b) fixing the defective item, or (c) refunding your money - and it is my understanding that the choice is yours, not his. And when you win, if he does not pay the judgement within a specified period (on the paper), then you may have various options, like attach his bank account (that may freeze his use of it until you get paid) or other assets. I say "his" because if the sale was thru a bonafide business, then it is the business that you sue and collect from; the manager, etc are protected in almost all cases.
Reply to
Robert Baer

Moron? You think you're talking to a 3-year-old who doesn't know there are good and bad people out there? It's people like you who think it's a norm to get ripped off that help these crooks continue to do their scams.

Moron!

-L> >

real world, as well as on Ebay.

Reply to
linus

Robert,

Thank you for your advice. I've scheduled an appointment with a Sharp-authorized shop to have someone come over to take a look. If they say the unit is defective or refurbished I will take them to court like you suggested. I want to teach these guys a lesson so they stop ripping people off.

-Linus

Reply to
linus

George,

Initially Sharp and I both thought it might be the system cable, so Sharp sent me another new cable to try but to no avail. I'm 100% it has nothing to do with the cable or the power.

-Linus

Reply to
linus

Robert,

Since the seller is in NY, would I have to file my claim in NY as well? Thanks.

-Linus

Reply to
linus

Robert I'm curious about your "as is" comment. Lets say the seller just copied the manufacturers brochure verbatim and in addition he says it works but is "as is". Does that give the seller an out as a far as the UCC or small claims court? How about an auction other than ebay, or just an ad? tnx

Henry Kolesnik