Hameg HM712 - unknown input-connector

Hi there.

I found an old (2-channel) Oscilloscope: Hameg HM-712. It works properly. On the rear there is a mysterious BNC-connector named "Z-Input". Does anybody know what this is for?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
karagulon

Hi

That should be an input to modulate beam brightness, usually something in the 0...5 V signal level.

Cheers + HTH,

- Joerg

--
joerg dot hau at swissonline dot ch * Lausanne, Switzerland
http://homepage.sunrise.ch/mysunrise/joerg.hau/

Sometimes they'll go negative to increase the brightness, as well.

As a related question, what are they commonly used for? In all the time I've had an oscilloscope that had such an input, I've never actually come across an application where it seemed useful.

Reply to
Terran Melconian

In this case (sounds logical - i'll test it later), the modulation of the beam-brightness makes kind of TV-pictures possible. Something like X-Y modus and picture-information in then modulation. Am i right?

Reply to
karagulon

Displaying brightness-modulated picture images, for a prank.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards