What does it mean to be 68 family mpu or 80 family mpu compatible?

I'm looking at doing an embedded project with a 122x32 pixel LCD.  All
the 122x32 pixel LCDs I've seen have 1 or 2 SED1520 controllers
onboard.

Something I have found in the SED1520 datasheet is that it is "Fast
8-bit MPU interface compatible with 80- and 68- family
microcomputers."

What are these families of microcomputers?  Can I infer from the above
quote that microcomputers not of the 80- and 68- families are
incompatible?

Thanks,
Jim

Re: What does it mean to be 68 family mpu or 80 family mpu compatible?

I haven't seen that written for a few years.
Motorola 6800 family - and all the product that followed on,
and Intel 8080 family, and all the product that followed on,
mostly from other companies (eg Z80 compatibles).

No, and in any case it is not really such a useful statement
for the manufacturer to make - you need to check the timing
of the LCD against the signals you will be providing in
your application, anyway.  I think you will find any micro
these days will need some interface circuitry (atleast gates)
to talk to a display, unless you use I/O port pins for
communication.  Hope this helps.

Steve
http://www.airborn.com.au

Re: What does it mean to be 68 family mpu or 80 family mpu compatible?

Nothing but marketing hype.  The same as Intel engraving "Designed for M$
Windoze" on it's processors.

  Vadim

Re: What does it mean to be 68 family mpu or 80 family mpu compatible?

There is a difference in the bus philosophy: Intel has separate read and
write strobes, Motorola has a read/write select bit and a single strobe
(initially called 'enable' on m6800).

The strobes can be converted (within timing specs) from one bus philosophy
to the other with a couple of simple gates.

The byte order of multi-byte numbers is also different: Motorola has most
significant byte in lowest address ('Big-endian'), and Intel has least
significant byte in lowest address ('Little-endian').

HTH

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio @ iki fi

Re: What does it mean to be 68 family mpu or 80 family mpu compatible?

Some Moto micros have a configuration thing that
allows selection of which way to operate the pins.

The latter much to the regret of some of us...

Re: What does it mean to be 68 family mpu or 80 family mpu compatible?
Thank you everyone for your responses thus far.  They've been
enlightening.

I don't mean to kill the thread with this post.  If more folks have
more to say on this topic, please do!

Thanks again,
Jim

Site Timeline