HCS12 Family Compiler Question

Hi,

I am starting a project using Motorolas HCS12 family chip. Specifically MC9S12E64. I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on which compiler suite to use? Motorola suggests Code Warrior but seems pricy. Any comments on the code warrier suite? Or which compiler should I use?

Thanks for your help

cheers, Scott

Reply to
Scott
[Compiler for HC12]

If you want to know (and control) what happens: Cosmic C compiler with iSYSTEM iC3000 debugger, a good editor (maybe Source Insight, if you are able to get Sourcedyn's attention - they don't talk to me), GNU make, makedepend, PC-Lint, Doxygen is what I use gladly.

Is approx. the same price as Codeworrier (SCNR) with P&E BDM hardware, but IMHO more transparent.

If you believe that 200MB Codewarrior with PE beans will simplify your design process, buy it. It might be, but I don't believe. You will end in a situation where you have to read the processor data sheet and understand the bean to find the error.

In the HC12 mailing list, you will get support for both Cosmic and CW.

Oliver

--
Oliver Betz, Muenchen
Reply to

I played with the Gnu toolchain for a bit. It seemed to generate pretty decent looking code (certainly better than my old Introl compiler), and you can't complain about the price.

If it were me, I'd probably use Gnu GCC and binutils.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  -- I love KATRINKA
                                  at               because she drives a

Of course Motorola suggests CW, they own Metrowerks.

There are other choices, including ourselves, and Cosmic. etc. We all provide demo, ours is fully functional for 30 days. Try it and see for yourself.

-- // richard

Richard F. Man

I have used Metrowerks on the HC08. It took a while to appreciate it. I am now writing for the MSP430 on an IAR compiler and like the metrowerks better. Beware of the learning curve and slow support from MetroWerks. Yuo may be able to Stong arm Motorola in a discount if you have sufficiant quanities for a price break on the compiler.

Jim

Scott wrote:

Reply to
jg

Hi,

Thanks for your responses. Has anyone had much experience with the GNU toolchain. I may be leaning towards this but am unaaware of the work involved in making sure my microcontroller is supported (MC9S12E64). I plan on using P&E for IDE and ICD and BDM.

Thanks again, scott

I played with the Gnu toolchain for a bit. It seemed to generate pretty decent looking code (certainly better than my old Introl compiler), and you can't complain about the price.

If it were me, I'd probably use Gnu GCC and binutils.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  -- I love
KATRINKA
                                  at               because she drives
                               visi.com            PONTIAC. We're
going
                                                   awaynow. I fed the
cat.

> Scott wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am starting a project using Motorolas HCS12 family chip.
> > Specifically
> > MC9S12E64.   I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on which
> > compiler suite to use?  Motorola suggests Code Warrior but seems
> > pricy.  Any comments on
> > the code warrier suite? Or which compiler should I use?
> >
> > Thanks for your help
> >
> > cheers,
> > Scott
Reply to
Scott

Thanks for the help.

It seems the GNU toolchain supports HCS12 family of processors. Imagecraft had a very inexpensive compiler for this family as well.

Scott

Reply to
Scott