UTOPIA interface signal traces

Hi I am new to UTOPIA interface. I would like to know how critical it is to have matched lengths for UTOPIA data and clock traces on PCB with multiple processers (all processer having UTOPIA interface).

It would be nice if somebody could reply as soon as possible.

Regards Nithin

Reply to
Nithin

Hi Nithin,

It depends. Look inside the datasheets of your utopia transmitter and receiver to see the timing requirements. If I'm looking e.g. in my IXP425 datasheet at AC characteristics I can find the recommended setup/hold time requirements for the UTOPIA receiver. With these values I can go to the transmitter timings and calculate the reserve between transmitter timing and receiver timing and the rest is available for everything that happens (bad edges, length differences between clock and signals, ...) between transmitter and receiver.

I hope this helps,

Michael

PS: Remove the ABC chars to get my correct e-mail.

Nith> Hi

Reply to
Michael Schmid

An inch or two is not going to make much of a difference if you ar talking about uotopia level 1/2 (50 Mhz). You will have more of problem on the higher speed utopia busses. You will however need t watch clock distribution

Reply to
john bogus