Strategy to read FIFO of a 16752 rs232 Chip

Hi

I need to control a TI 16C752 directly. My question is when the FIFO is enabled ( it has 64 bytes TX/RX FIFO). The interrupt level can be set with 8 bytes or 16 bytes, which means only when the data in FIFO reaches this level, an interrupt will be generated. How can I read the last bytes if there is no interrupt to triggered the main program?

Some senario:

The interrupt level is set 8 bytes.

  1. If only 3 bytes is arrived and no more, there is no interrupt coming. So I need to poll it with a timer.

  1. After the last interrupt, I read all the data in the FIFO. And after that, 3 additional bytes come. So it is quite same as the first senario. Because there is no interrupt, I need to poll it with a timer.

I do not like to use a timer. Have any idea?

Another question is while 16752 contains 2 RS232 ports, can I set one with RTS/CTS enabled, and the other without flow control? I do not find information in the datasheet.

Steven

Reply to
Steven P

All fifo UART's I've used generate an interrupt on timeout (no chars received for x char times) in addition to the interrupt at the trigger level. I don't know the TI 16C752, but I don't expext it to be different.

This does mean you can not assume you have gotten at least 8 bytes when you get an interrupt, it might be less on timeout.

Stef

Thank you very much for this timeout information.It is a great help. With this there will be no problem to get data out from the FIFO.

Steven

Stef schrieb:

Reply to
photodose