Small graphical LCDs - Free Image utility Available - What have I missed?

Recently completed a windows based mono & Color LCD image utility and it's now available (totally free). Also allows you to import 24bpp BMP files (includes basic editing for mono LCD output) and exports to a header file table. Very simple but works (one bug that I know of - occasionally doesn't let you import a second image - will fix for next version).

I'm looking at the next version now and want to get it right the first time. I've already had a few requests (line, circle & fill commands), but am looking to add a bit more whizzy functionality. Any suggestions as to what is missing/really needed would be ideal. In fact any comments (good & bad) are welcome.

link to software & basic manual

Click on the Image Designer download links

Cheers Jim

Reply to
Jim

Jim Wrote

I meant - Image Importer - Links ! Ooops

Reply to
Jim

Good idea but; the zip file is missing - click url not there! Is the zip meant to include quote 'SOURCE CODE Image Importer / Editor application now includes full color import/export feature.' if so I'd like to modify it to do 240x320 / 320x240 modules as well. Thanks, Alistair.

Reply to
Alistair George

I was recently writing a 128x64 Mono Graphical LCD driver + Library for a college project and I realized that I had to write a similar application for image2h conversion, but this was designed specificaly for my lib functions and it reqiured previous editing to convert the image to 128x64 monochrome windows bitmap file format. I've checked your application's documentation (since the app itself seems to be missing) and it seems great, way better than what I had. Wish I still had my LCD module... The only thing I would add is some sort of image compression. I used simple RLE in my mono-images app and it reduced a simple image's size by 20-40% and my 8-MIPS AVR had no problem decompressing and displaying it (no visible delays). But I had a draw_RLE_bitmap(byte

*bitmap) function in my lib designed to work with these RLE-type headers. I don't know if there are any standard ways of doing this but I suggest you add at least RLE for mono-images and document (well) how it's done so people can write their own functions if needeed.

Keep on the good work!

Regards,

- R.

Reply to
Roland

Like the font designer.. I'd LOVE to get that source and create a horiz output format too... With a scalable resolution setting for the font.. Sure would save some time.. I was just starting out looking for a tool so I wouldn't have to write one.. Alas.. it is for an odd chip which is a display scaler's OSD.

Thanks for posting them.

Reply to
Elan Magavi

I have a project pending where I will need to create a menuing system with selection buttons at the bottom of a small graphical display. A couple of things that would be useful are:

1 - the ability to draw straight lines 2 - an enlargement of the screen or a portion of it for fine point editing. The pixel-to-pixel mapping of the simulated LCD to my 1600x1200 display results in a small image that is difficult to edit.

Thanks

-Bill Knight R O SoftWare

Reply to
Bill Knight

Just tried the link and it works. I've received a few private emails saying it's broken as well. I tried it on a laptop that doesn't have the files locally and it works from there too. Could be a mirror that's broken??

Can anyone else (apart from myself) download the software ?

Jim

Reply to
Jim

I can add horiz output to the app no problem. I'll add it to the wish list and get that done for next version. I have a customer who is using the font designer to create custom characters and is doing the scaling (x2) in the actual character display routine.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Straight lines are now in. A zoom facility is a good idea as its quite hard to be accurate with such tiny pixels. I like your style. Already working out a nifty way of achieving this seamlessly... Cheers! Jim

Reply to
Jim

It works perfectly for me.

Markus

Reply to
Markus Zingg

Hi,

There is a problem on the url ; it must be :

(and no

Yvan

--
**********************
          YBDesign

Yes agreed; both yourself and earlier post by Tom Lucas would make it a killer. I can now download the program, but there is no source included as mentioned on the web page. Jim is it free or shareware - whats the intention there? If free suggest you do include the source. snip SOURCE CODE Image Importer / Editor application now includes full color import/export feature. snip Regards, Alistair.

Reply to
Alistair George

... Jim is it free or shareware - whats the

The intention is for the application to be free but not the source code. My mistake putting the reference in the SOURCE CODE title. However, I don't intend to make any money from the application, so I guess if I clean it up a little I could release the source (Written in VC++6). Need to think on implications of this.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

I've had reports that this is how it looks in Firefox but not IE. I've changed the link to be more friendly and I 'believe' now works in Firefox. (Fingers crossed) Jim

Reply to
Jim

It does

Reply to
Alistair George

Post here when ur next version is up OK Jim? Tks, Alistair.

Reply to
Alistair George

There is a text function (character & string) available free on the site that does just what you mention. This isn't part of the Image designer application but is part of one of the other freebies.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Hmm, tie that in with the Lookup generator to serve another function of the program? Hows the next version going? Thanks, Alistair.

Reply to
Alistair George

Done a much better & faster Paint tool, Completed Line tool, Rectangle Tool, Fill Tool and Elipse Tool. Also Added Solid, Hatch & Outline for rectangle & Elipse tools. Fixed a couple of bugs ;-) tideid up. Testing at the moment and will release this (a few people want the bug fixed version) as a V1.x version, since I still need to add a few more requested features. Even if I say so myself it now rocks!. Its fast and its really easy to create 3D buttons (using hatch fill) and generally create images from scratch.

Someone has requested a "Button Wizard". This got me thinking and so I'll also be adding a button/menu toolbox to the app.

Cheers Jim

Reply to
Jim

V1.1 is now available for download. Draw, Line, Rectangle, Elipse & fill tools all new and as requested here. V2 Starting in a week or so (other things to finish off) first.. V2 will be a much longer development process as this will have the features requested that take quite some time to do and test.

Jim

Reply to
Jim