what small monitor?

I had a Motorola Artix Lapdock as a nice small monitor/keyboard for use with a pi, but after a year in storage it seems to have died.

What small monitor do people like?

I'm not interested in anything at my local computer shop because they are all huge, intended for filling a desktop.

My ideal Pi monitor would be inexpensive, have a diagonal between 8" and

12" (20cm to 30cm), no stand, mounting holes for me to attach to my own stand, and a powered USB out as an optional power source for the Pi.

The Artix Lapdock had some of that, 11.5" diagonal (good), powered USB (good), poor mounting options (intended to be used like laptop), built-in keyboard and trackpad (bonus, but interfered with mounting the display), price wasn't bad, but could have been better.

I don't use a monitor with any of my Pis often, and I don't want to spend a lot or take up a lot of storage space.

Elijah

------ doesn't go in for huge monitors anyway mounting)

Reply to
Eli the Bearded

I'd grab a screen from a small notebook (either used or a replacement part) and use it with one of the LVDS to HDMI adapters which are easily found on Ebay (search "LVDS HDMI"). Of course you'll need to work out your own way of mounting it all.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

I mostly use laptops and run my RPi headless, so no direct experience, but...

My requirements for a dedicated screen would be similar to yours, if I had a Pi 400, so here's what I like the look of from a quick search. I have no idea whether they are touch screens or not because I don't care about touch screens unless they are on a PNA / PDA / phone, but of course ymmv.

There is quite a nice 10.1" 1200x1920 display selling for $80 in the US.

There are other 10.1" screens around as well, but these seem to be only

1280 x 800, so a bit coarse grained unless all you want is an 80x24 text display *and* anyway these are little if any cheaper than the 1920 x 1200 one.

These screens all seem to be in some sort of enclosure, judging by the photos, but who really knows without seeing one on a counter?

I'm a little surprised that nobody is jumping up and yelling that they have just the display you need for a Pi 400, but I suppose its still early days for that, though I see that the Pi-Top people have got a sort of laptop setup for the Pi-4 on Kickstarter - a V. thin kbd and screen, with the Pi 4 in an enlarged strut behind the screen for $200

Martin    | martin at
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Martin Gregorie

How about the official 7" monitor:

A bit smaller than you prefer, but the opposite end of the spectrum from desktop monitors.

If you search there's a variety of ~10" touch displays on the market too.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

--
Ottavio Caruso
Reply to

I think it's quite good but one possible disadvantage might be its low resolution of 800x480. And the pixels aren't square; circles will be slightly squashed (vertically) to ellipses.

I'm holding out for a slightly larger version with higher resolution and square pixels. But it's been years...

Reply to
A. Dumas

Portable, USB-powered monitors like these would be even easier to set up:

I bought a 15.6" one a while back; the folding cover is held on by a couple of screws that you could most likely repurpose for some other sort of mount.

15.6" seems to be the most common size, though I found a couple of 12.5" screens (at a higher price) without too much searching. Prices start around $125. I've used mine with my notebooks, with Raspberry Pis (useful for troubleshooting the ones on my 3D printers), and even an Apple IIGS (through an RGB-to-HDMI converter).

_/_ / v \ Scott Alfter (remove the obvious to send mail) (IIGS(

Top-posting! \_^_/ >What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?

Reply to
Scott Alfter