[Shameless Plug] A New Book - Page 7

Re: [Shameless Plug] A New Book

Not me, but I'll forward this suggestion to their marketing folks.

My editor is paranoid about letting the book loose for pirate copies,
but she may be amenable to teasers.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Ummm...?! Elsevier puts - or used to put, anyway - the book in PDF
format on the accompanying CD-ROM.

Re: A New Book

I just checked -- no book pdf.  From the editor's comments that was her
decision -- do you write for her, or do you write for someone else?

I was trying to scheme at the show about a way to do a book index that
wouldn't be too human readable -- like stripping out all graphics and
non-indexable words, tagging what's left with page numbers, and doing
searches.  One should be able to do it without even encrypting the book.
  Makes you wonder if the technology already exists.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I believe I go through the same acquisitions editor (T.G.). However my
last book was published more than a year ago... policies change.

Re: [Shameless Plug] A New Book

Assuming that this doesn't affect how much you get paid, it's
available on ebay for $47.61 with $4.95 shipping. Saves $10 or so.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item46%29135706

Re: [Shameless Plug] A New Book

If you go through the Powell's link they give me a kickback, but I get
royalties from Elsevier either way.  The money is nice, but I care more
that people are reading the book and benefiting from it.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Have you set up Amazon.com Associates? The good thing about Amazon is
that you get a kickback for other things people buy in the same
session. For instance, I wrote some articles using the Mac mini and did
an associates link to the mini on my web site; a few people who bought
minis through that link bought me a couple of pizzas.

Of course I do learn a lot of distasteful things about the stuff people
buy... for quite a while my first book's page showed context-sensitive
advertising saying that people who bought this book also bought various
sex books and videos... :) And what do you make of someone who buys two
commercial DVD movies and 100 50-disk spindles of blank DVD-Rs in the
one session?

Re: A New Book
-- snip --
Well, obviously they have some serious backing up to do, and they're
going to watch a couple of movies while they're busy.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

He makes lots of backup copies as he plays the DVD so often, that he
wears out the DVD, its copies and his upper body muscles...

:-) for the humour impaired.

Re: [Shameless Plug] A New Book

http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/bookdescription.cws_home/707797/description#description

It hasn't made "Read the Can't Miss List!" or special offers in their
BestBetBooks in Electronic & Electrical Engineering flyers, so I'll wait
until December when they dump it at 40% off. They are currently trying
to push Modeling and Verification Using UML Statecharts
A Working Guide to Reactive System Design, Runtime Monitoring and
Execution-based Model Checking- by Drusinsky
http://books.elsevier.com/us//computereng/us/subindex.asp?maintarget=&isbn07%50679492&country=United+States&srccode80%497&ref=&subcode=&head=&pdf=&basiccode=&txtSearch=&SearchField=&operator=&order=&community=computereng
I wonder if that delivers any value; I'm suspicious of these
flash-and-dazzle things that spend all of one page per major topic- just
overview crap.

Re: [Shameless Plug] A New Book

Given what I've seen of Tim's other writings --
http://www.embedded.com/2000/0010/0010feat3.htm is an example -- and the
insightful help he dispenses in the newsgroups in this cross posting, I
think you're overly pessimistic. I'll buy it and see.

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Re: [Shameless Plug] A New Book

I was referring to Drusinsky and not Wescott. But $20 per hectopage
seems a bit steep for a paperback...

Re: [Shameless Plug] A New Book

Hey, today it's ranked at 32000 in books.  Yesterday it was 540000.  At
this time tomorrow it'll be better than 200000 books that haven't even
been written yet :-).

Apparently you're as much of a tightwad as me.  I did discuss the
pricing with my editor -- she was pretty adamant that it was the right
price.  Besides, you get a CD with code that not only illustrates cool
functionality, but it compiles, it runs, and it's been tested &
debugged.  That's gotta be worth several hundred pages right there, eh?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Is that Simulink code or something? I bought the Drusinsky book on sale,
but if it turns into a pos, right back to Newnes it goes.

Re: [Shameless Plug] A New Book

Or something -- I used SciLab to do the design exercises in the book.
SciLab is a free MatLab replacement.  In many ways it's better than
MatLab, although it does fall down when you start trying to edit it's
block diagrams (I really need to convince the SciLab team to do
something about that).

There's three classes of stuff on the CD:  A SciLab install, SciLab code
that generates many of the figures in the book, and incidentally
provides examples of using SciLab, and a bunch of C code from chapters 9
and 10.  The C code from chapter 9 is sample code for implementing
swept-sine frequency response measurements from within the controller.
The C code from chapter 10 is a set of code for implementing fractional
arithmetic, plus a set of useful control system blocks implemented for
integer arithmetic, fractional arithmetic, and floating point
arithmetic.  One could take my sample code and use it as library code
for the core of a controller.

Jerry mentioned looking at other things I've written -- if you look at
my website you'll see many articles which directly contributed to the
book.  "Z Transforms for the Embedded System Engineer" became the seed
from which the z transforms chapter and the design chapter grew.
"Measuring Frequency Response" produced the chapter on measuring
frequency response.  "Using Block Diagrams in Control System Design"
grew into the block diagrams chapter.  "Controlling Motors in the
Presence of Friction and Backlash" is in the "Nonlinear Control"
chapter, along with a bunch of other stuff.

There isn't a word in there that's lifted from "PID Without a PhD", but
I did make darn sure that the design chapter covered PID design.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

You guys really are tight wads. If you take even one idea from a book, it
is a bargain. I just got back from CA where Tim's book was released. I
usually buy at least one book every time I travel to Silicon Valley or San
Franscisco. One year I spent $900 on 9 books.

I am happy to report that I have helped Tim move up the best sellers list.
I have an autographed first edition and printing of Tim's book. Someday,
when Tim is even more famous, I will sell it for a huge profit.

For the moment, we can all be content that we are helping Tim with his
Porsche payments. I'm sure we will all see him on late night TV soon.

My suggestion to everyone is, buy Tim's book. You'll be able to tell
everyone, you know a famous author! If you also buy Rick Lyon's book, you
will know at least two famous authors. This will probably make you very
popular and some of you will now be able to date beautiful women that you
couldn't even talk to before.

--
Al Clark
Danville Signal Processing, Inc.

Whay on earth do embedded.com always put the diagrams as hyperlinks
instead of inserting in the web page in question?

martin

Re: [Shameless Plug] A New Book

Perversity?  It certainly is a PITA.  If you check out my web site there
are a number of articles that _aren't_ linked to embedded.com, and which
put the figures in the text so you can have a chance at seeing them in
the right place.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Seconded.

Based on Tim's pedigree as a contributor to this group, and the quality
of his discreetly mentioned website, I have already ordered his book
(A3%34.99 direct from Elsevier vs A3%37.95 from Amazon and A3%39.95 from
most other sources).  I'll comment on the content and vfm when I have
read it, and not before.

--20%
Andy McC

Re: [Shameless Plug] A New Book

Belated congratulations, Tim.

Having recently done battle with a (fast) motor controller, despite a
lifetime in (slow) temperature control, I'm adding your book to my wishlist
;).

Steve
http://www.fivetrees.com

Site Timeline