New book - "So You Wanna Be an Embedded Engineer"

This is one of those "infrequent commercial postings" :) Or maybe I'm just trying to stay abreast with Tim Wescott. Anyway, some of you may be interested to know that my latest book has been released. I'm rather proud of it - I think it's my best to date - and here's the Amazon.com link:

[The listing does not currently have Amazon's "search inside" feature. I've asked my editor about this, since my other books DO offer that feature].

It's aimed mainly at people who are seeking to migrate into the embedded engineering field; it talks about the pros and cons of being an EE in a freelance capacity, at a small company, or at a large company. I tried to include lots of humor and real-world anecdotes to make the book an enjoyable read. You'll likely detect a strong dash of both Douglas and Scott Adams in my humor, which is probably inevitable.

If your kids want to become EEs (or maybe if they don't...) this book may be useful. It is roughly divided into three sections:

  1. discussion of education paths that lead to the field (including unusual routes and advice to the nondegreed)

  1. a large section covering "hardware guys" who want to start working with small micros, and high-level "software guys" currently working on desktop OSes, who want to start working with large micros (this section tries to give some answers to the "what micro do I learn on?" type of question and as such it describes several architectures at both ends of the size spectrum)

  2. a description of what it's like to work as a freelancer, at a small company and at a large company - stresses, benefits, survival tactics, and how to land a job of this type.

As I warn in the book's introduction, a lot of what I say in the text is argued hotly in Usenet (and anywhere else where engineers gather). I'm presenting my viewpoints from the trenches as a contractor, a small-company engineer, and a large-company engineer.

(ObDisclosure: The above link collects referral fees for me if you use it. If that bothers you, just search for my name - see below - on amazon.com).

-- Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

I'm always looking for feedback. If you have comments, please feel free to email me (this return address is real).

Reply to
larwe

If I can find a Chapters store around my area that carries your book I will but it today. It looks quite interesting since I do want to enter this field.

-Isaac

Reply to
Isaac Bosompem

If you find a physical store that actually carries any of my books, I'd be curious to hear about it. As far as I can tell, most/all of the sales of esoterica like this are online!

Thanks.

Reply to
larwe

Op 26 Jul 2006 15:17:05 -0700 schreef larwe:

I can't wait to by your last book in about 406 years. I clicked on your name to find other books ;-)

-- Open-Source Robotics and Process Control by Lewin Edwards (Author) (Paperback - April 20, 2412)

--
Coos
Reply to

:) I offer you one of two explanations:

  1. This book describes how to build a time machine, and a future version of myself has cleverly sent it back to 2004 (when it was actually released) in order to reap 408 years' royalties, or

  1. Amazon.com is impressively screwed up.

Reply to
larwe

Darn it,

I couldn't find it at my local bookstore (Chapters/Indigo in Canada). I do not have a credit card and do not intend on getting one for at least a couple of years. I guess I will ask my sister for a favour :). Is there anyway I can use Paypal to pay for it?

-Isaac

Reply to
Isaac Bosompem

half.com takes paypal, I believe - and someone has it listed there (dealer).

Reply to
larwe

Powells Technical Books in Portland (which is about 18 road miles from here) carries most of your books, and the Powells store in Beaverton probably carries one or two titles as well (they both have mine). If you're ever in Portland stop by both Powells Technical and the main store -- they're not to be missed.

In fact, this could be your chance to be the _second_ author to hold an author's event at Powells Technical Books.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

:-)

It took them about two weeks to get on-line with this on my book.

I still can't get used to the term "embedded engineering". It's like labeling someone a "knife wielder" without specifying whether they carve turkeys, wood, or recalcitrant prisoners.

Oh well, I guess I'm old.

I'll thumb through it the next time I'm at Powells.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Oh great - now every man and his dog will become an Embedded Engineer! We'll lose 'guru' status and our rates will go down...

;)

Regards,

--
Mark McDougall, Engineer
Virtual Logic Pty Ltd,

Looking forward to get a copy. I preordered it at Amazon two months ago :-)

Meindert (just finished "Embedded design on a Shoestring").

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

Amazon UK reckons it's not yet published but we do get GBP1.25 off the rrp! I shall keep my eyes peeled.

Reply to
Tom Lucas

Well... Number 2 is not possible, so by elimination in *must* be number 1

-Mike :-)

Reply to
Mike Warren

Have you read the book? Because you're quoting - not quite verbatim - from the introduction! :%2

Reply to
larwe

Really!?! No, I haven't seen the book...

--
Mark McDougall, Engineer
Virtual Logic Pty Ltd,
21-25 King St, Rockdale, 2216
Ph: +612-9599-3255 Fax: +612-9599-3266
Reply to
Mark McDougall

Yup, I saw them. They seem to only have 1 in stock. Also there seems to be some negative comments about the dealer misrepresenting what is in stock. Well in this case, I did initiate a transfer of funds from my bank account to my PayPal account. I will scour the net for some other places that accept PayPal and will likely purchase your book by the end of this coming week.

Reply to
Isaac Bosompem