[Shameless Plug] A New Book

Any chance you could .pdf and post 3 or 4 first chapter pages?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Not me, but I'll forward this suggestion to their marketing folks.

My editor is paranoid about letting the book loose for pirate copies, but she may be amenable to teasers.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Ummm...?! Elsevier puts - or used to put, anyway - the book in PDF format on the accompanying CD-ROM.

Reply to
larwe

Assuming that this doesn't affect how much you get paid, it's available on ebay for $47.61 with $4.95 shipping. Saves $10 or so.

mk

I just checked -- no book pdf. From the editor's comments that was her decision -- do you write for her, or do you write for someone else?

I was trying to scheme at the show about a way to do a book index that wouldn't be too human readable -- like stripping out all graphics and non-indexable words, tagging what's left with page numbers, and doing searches. One should be able to do it without even encrypting the book. Makes you wonder if the technology already exists.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

If you go through the Powell's link they give me a kickback, but I get royalties from Elsevier either way. The money is nice, but I care more that people are reading the book and benefiting from it.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

I believe I go through the same acquisitions editor (T.G.). However my last book was published more than a year ago... policies change.

Reply to
larwe

I've never found it particulary difficult to impliment mode changes and bumpless transfer, but it's definitly something worth mentioning.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  ... this must be what
                                  at               it's like to be a COLLEGE
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Grant Edwards

Agreed, and I'm sorry it didn't occur to me to include it -- It should be doable in a few pages in the right chapter.

As I said, I'll put a supplement on my website.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Have you set up Amazon.com Associates? The good thing about Amazon is that you get a kickback for other things people buy in the same session. For instance, I wrote some articles using the Mac mini and did an associates link to the mini on my web site; a few people who bought minis through that link bought me a couple of pizzas.

Of course I do learn a lot of distasteful things about the stuff people buy... for quite a while my first book's page showed context-sensitive advertising saying that people who bought this book also bought various sex books and videos... :) And what do you make of someone who buys two commercial DVD movies and 100 50-disk spindles of blank DVD-Rs in the one session?

Reply to
larwe

-- snip --

Well, obviously they have some serious backing up to do, and they're going to watch a couple of movies while they're busy.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

but that doesn't show in Google Groups. i dunno, but i guess it's an undocumented feature that if you enclose text in [brackets] in the Subject: header, Google Groups doesn't show it in their front page for the newsgroup.

r b-j

Reply to
robert bristow-johnson

He makes lots of backup copies as he plays the DVD so often, that he wears out the DVD, its copies and his upper body muscles...

:-) for the humour impaired.

    PC Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Carpenter

Yes it does, at least in comp.arch.embedded.

Reply to
larwe

I make one temperature controller that *cannot* overshoot... it might poach a biological sample that a thousand rabbits died to make. We slew-limit the user's setpoint before we go into the loop and, when we get within 5 degrees of the target, cut the slew rate by 5:1 to creep up on the final value. Anti-windup on the integrator, too, just in case.

Seems to me that control theorists love advanced linear algorithms, when 95% of servo loops are fine with P-I and occasionally P-I-D, but it's the startup/shutdown/windup/slew conditions that are the real challenges.

John

My favourite control paper:

"An Electronic Throttle Control Strategy Including Compensation of Friction and Limp-Home Effects" J. Deur, D. Pavkovic, N. Peric, M. Jansz, D. Hrovat, IEEE Industrial Applications May/June 2004 vol. 40 no.

3 p.821

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

The immediate replies to Tims post were all from google, and they all elided the "[shameless]" portion. Just one more of the failings of the google interface. Have they no shame?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
CBFalconer

It hasn't made "Read the Can't Miss List!" or special offers in their BestBetBooks in Electronic & Electrical Engineering flyers, so I'll wait until December when they dump it at 40% off. They are currently trying to push Modeling and Verification Using UML Statecharts A Working Guide to Reactive System Design, Runtime Monitoring and Execution-based Model Checking- by Drusinsky

I wonder if that delivers any value; I'm suspicious of these flash-and-dazzle things that spend all of one page per major topic- just overview crap.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Given what I've seen of Tim's other writings --

is an example -- and the insightful help he dispenses in the newsgroups in this cross posting, I think you're overly pessimistic. I'll buy it and see.

Jerry

Jerry Avins

I was referring to Drusinsky and not Wescott. But $20 per hectopage seems a bit steep for a paperback...

Reply to
Fred Bloggs