[Shameless Plug] A New Book

Doh!

PS: I enjoyed parusing your quest document.

--
%  Randy Yates                  % "Midnight, on the water...
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %  I saw...  the ocean's daughter."

Yes, yes, yes - my bad! No Outlook/IE here on this boy's system - I use Firefox and XEmacs/gnus and my wife uses Firefox/Thunderbird.

It is also unthinkable that I neglected to mention Octave in a dsp newgroup. Thanks, kudos, accolades to those who developed it.

Yea, brother: Amen. May the open-source force be with you.

--
%  Randy Yates                  % "Midnight, on the water...
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %  I saw...  the ocean's daughter."
%%% 919-577-9882                % 'Can't Get It Out Of My Head'
%%%%            % *El Dorado*, Electric Light Orchestra
http://home.earthlink.net/~yatescr
Reply to
Randy Yates
[snip]
[snip]

Yes, there is a free version of VMware Server

MS also released a free version of its Virtual Server as well.

And then there's the Open Source Xen Virtualization effort:

Robert

Reply to
Robert

I haven't tried any of these alternate virtual machines, but vmware is awesome. I was able to run CCS in it with a parallel port JTAG and all the drivers worked just fine. Absolutely amazing.

But the really cool thing is: all those damn reboots MS needs can now happen inside the virtual machine without a single real reboot.

--
%  Randy Yates                  % "Bird, on the wing,
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %   goes floating by
http://home.earthlink.net/~yatescr
Reply to
Randy Yates
[...]

You are obviously far too popular and heavily overworked. Bill Gates has his secretary filter his emails so he only has to respond to the 100 most important emails and his secretary handles the rest.

You need the same thing, but obviously the person has to understand deep technical terms such as "Ohms Law", and "CMOS". There - I just used both of them in a single sentence, so obviously I qualify.

For a modest and easily affordable investment, I will do this for you. I will download all your posts from google groups, and write a simple pattern matching program to identify the appropriate post to reply with. A simple random number generator to select a pdf circuit from your website, and that should solve your popularity problem real fast:)

[...]

Actually, I wasn't suggesting you switch to concito - you could probably afford to buy them, plus the high-speed pipes they connect with. My comment was for the lesser mortals who don't have access to your cash flow, such as myself. But if you accept my offer outlined above, I expect that will change quickly. Now please excuse - I have to call Cessna and get my Citation on order:)

Mike

Reply to
Mike Monett

Holy cow. People write _books_ using word-processors? That seems a bit like digging a canal with a trowel.

OOo is fine for a letter or fax, but I switch to LaTeX for anything that

1) is over a page long 2) has a table of contents, index, or auto-numbering of table, figures, equations, etc. 2) has any equations in it 3) needs to look like it was professionally typeset

I've never seen anything that can equal TeX's hyphenation and line-breaking, and (AFAICT) OOo doesn't even do ligatures at all. At least OOo gets points for doing an acceptible job of kerning.

Bravo!

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I feel... JUGULAR...
                                  at

I wanted to write it in LaTeX, but the editor I signed with made it clear that I would be _very_ unpopular with their production people if I did.

You can write book-length stuff in OOo (obviously), but you have to pay attention. Frankly, being able to see the equations and figures in the text as I'm writing helps my miniature brain grasp what the reader is going to see which in turn helps me do a better job presenting the material.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Right. Plus, you can do neat things with (La)TeX that you can't do with other systems. One of my favorite things, especially in engineering reports and the like that deal with Matlab, is to have Matlab spit out the LaTeX source code of the results (ala "printf" statments) and then \input it into your document. Ta-da: seamless integration, no typo's.

--
%  Randy Yates                  % "Bird, on the wing,
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %   goes floating by
%%% 919-577-9882                %   but there's a teardrop in his eye..."
%%%%            % 'One Summer Dream', *Face The Music*, ELO
http://home.earthlink.net/~yatescr
Reply to
Randy Yates

.
.
.

It does. I've bitched to them about this before.

Here's the deal: If the Subject: line is entirely bracketed text, it will appear on any page.

Bracketed text on the Subject: line (if it comes AFTER unbracketed text) will appear on any page.

Bracketed text that comes **BEFORE** unbracketed text will be blanked on the front page for the newsgroup; it will appear on all other pages. . . Another interesting Google Groups syntax screw-up:

If you click the *show options* link, you will see that the Email: for Rubicon is enclosed in parenthesis; at the entry for the post (#20) in the left frame, no author is listed. 8-)

Reply to
JeffM

Yup. And if you use a Makefile to build the book the same way you build a program, you always know everything is up-to-date.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Mr and Mrs PED, can
                                  at               I borrow 26.7

Yup. Of course it has to be gnumake, too.

--
%  Randy Yates                  % "Ticket to the moon, flight leaves here today
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %  from Satellite 2"
http://home.earthlink.net/~yatescr
Reply to
Randy Yates

If you are going to organize all that, why not use Texinfo up front, and postpone the output format decision as far as possible. Maybe diagrams?

More details at:
Also see
Reply to
CBFalconer

Real player isn't first rate , it phones home quite a bit(realscheduler.exe).

How about using a open source media player ?

vlc

mplayer
xms

vlc or mplayer will just about play any media file available

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson

Hi Tim, congratulations on finishing your book. I'll bet you're glad "it's all over".

(snipped)

Ha ha. But posting only good reviews on Amazon wouldn't that make those reviews, as a whole, fraudulent?

Actually, it's fair to your potential readers, and good for you as the author, to see all reviews both good and bad. It's good for you because it helps you improve your book for future editions.

Tim, ya' know what you might do that's useful? Start compiling an errata 'cause people will start asking you for the book's errata. And, of course, the errata can be used to improve future printings of your book. (You're probably already doing this.)

Best of Luck, [-Rick-]

Reply to
Rick Lyons

Don't you wish the world was ideal? Read the reviews. Some people do no even address the book, but critique the author's work elsewhere. I hav one review on half of the first chapter. Another person as far as I coul tell did not understand how one entered formulae in Excel and decided tha there were errors on every page.

Incidentally, unless it is libellous, Amazon is very reluctant to tak down any review. It is not impossible to have a bad review removed, bu extremely difficult and needs the help of your publisher. They als dislike an author placing a rebuttal to an unfair criticism. Th AmazonConnect feature may now go some way to addressing this.

Amazon frowns on authors placing self-reviews but it happens. Also pa attention to well known reviewers (and authors in their own right) who ar likely friends or acquaintances of the author, especially when the revie is smothered with generalities.

Good reviews (or rather the star rating), I am told, are important as i affects how Amazon cross advertises the book amongst other titles.

-Aubrey Kagan

Reply to
antedeluvian

[snip]

Only ~30 of them are "bidirectional", that is I reply to them.

Most are simply addresses created when I order something from a site that requires an E-mail address for shipping notification, etc.

I went this route when spam started increasing...

With individualized addressing I know immediately who sold my address to spammers; or I tire of their ads and delete the address.

...Jim Thompson

All true. But I had to live up to the subject line...

As I find things they'll go into the errata. Most of the issues I have found so far are things that I want to add should the book ever go to a second edition, but I have no illusions about the book being error-free.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

You young whippersnappers! I used to write production instruction manuals in NROFF and make them look good on a nine-pin printer. :-)

Jerry

Jerry Avins

How about Real Alternative?

Jerry

Jerry Avins

Jerry, it looks like these are all windows packages. Blicch!

--
%  Randy Yates                  % "I met someone who looks alot like you,
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %             she does the things you do,