Resume, interview, offer timing

This is sort of off-topic, but I don't think anyone reads groups dedicated to jobs. So, I'm looking for full-time work developing software that runs in embedded systems, and I'm wondering something. What kind of time frame should I be expecting for resume submissions, interviews, and offers?

That is, if I send my resume to a real company posting a job on its own company web site, how long should I wait for the company to respond? This is becoming an issue now because some companies have responded sooner than I expected but others not at all. I'm not sure if the responding companies really like me, are desperate, or are near the end of whatever hiring window they have.

Reply to
BubbaGump

The faster is the quicker. I'd expect a notice to be in the queue of applicants at least. Better even if they tell how far into the process they are, and how long they estimate it to last.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

Could be minutes, could be weeks. Really depends on how urgently they're looking to fill spaces and whether someone's actively driving the recruitment process at their end. I know when I was actively involved in trying to build my own team I screened all CVs the same working day I received them and tried to arrange phone interviews as soon as possible, but that was a startup without the drag of an HR department. ;P

Normally we tried to make decisions "same day" after phone and face-to-face interviews and communicate them back to the candidate before close-of-play on that day.

I've applied for positions before where it went quiet for weeks or even a couple of months and then long after i'd forgotten about it I was called for interview.

I was offered (and accepted) my current job by phone on the train home from the interview - unusually prompt for a medium-sized company (about 1000 employees) but I have a very proactive manager ;)

pete

--
pete@fenelon.com "it made about as much sense as a polythene sandwich"
Reply to

Huh. That reminds me of the internal recruiter at one company. By the way. What does CV mean? I see it a lot.

I suppose companies like this are best to aim for when one already has a job and plenty of time on their hands (not laid off nor quit out of disgust).

Reply to
BubbaGump

Curriculum Vitae. English for Resumé

Reply to
Tom Lucas

om...

for Resum=E9- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Boy, Google sure has messed up their groups...

My comment was going to be...

LOL, CV is latin. I find it interesting that you equate it to English while you equate Resum=E9 (or Resume as we use it here in the US) to the non-English. Perhaps you meant "the English" as in people in England. I find that CV is seldom used here in the US except for perhaps educational institutions.

In regards to the OP's question, the response of a company will vary widely. I know for a fact that some organizations post job listings for positions that they don't intend to fill anytime soon. Just like recruiters, they want to collect resumes to get a feel of the current market and to have a pool of applicants in case something does come up. I avoid companies like this. It says to me that they are hire and fire.

BTW, HEY GOOGLE!!! What happened to your PREVIEW button???

Google does not seem to make it very easy to give feedback. How loud do you think I would have to yell for them to hear me say their new interface stinks!!!

Reply to
rickman

English is, of course, the language spoken by the people of England. Other places have an approximation of it but frequently fail to spell as the Queen intended (or pronounce the very obviously present 'h' in herb). You are quite right that Curriculum Vitae was Latin and I believe it means something like life experience. However, in the absence of any Latinians then I claim CV for English and will shortly begin a lobby to get "weekend" back from the French. ;-)

Reply to
Tom Lucas

There are many exceptions, of course, but I would say that if you do not get any feedback after at most two or three days, nothing is going to happen.

Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group, return address is invalid ]
Reply to
Roberto Waltman

I think the old Google Usenet search was the one left from DejaNews, which is the original Usenet search I used to use years ago. I got the impression that Google bought them and have since taken a few years before they finally now changed the interface to make it look more Googlish.

Reply to
BubbaGump

And other places, although often distinguished as American English, Australian English, or even British English, since various countries do think they own their own language.

King George III intended to rule the colonies in perpetuity and failed, so we couldn't give a hoot what your royalty intended. In this country we grow up with School House Rock cartoons rejoining "With no more king... no more king... no more king... no more king!"

Cheers, Brandon Van Every

Reply to
Brandon J. Van Every

Depends. When I was recruiting I used to get personnel to do an initial vetting of all applications from agencies based solely on basic qualifications because they tended to send CVs indiscriminately. Everything that passed this came to me along with direct applications. I looked at these twice a week and decided which ones I wanted to interview. All direct applicants got a reply as a result of this process, usually within a week of applying. Agencies were only told if we wanted to interview.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

An honorable man posted:

"[..]

I think the old Google Usenet search was the one left from DejaNews, which is the original Usenet search I used to use years ago. I got the impression that Google bought them [..]"

Google bought DejaNews.

Reply to
Colin Paul Gloster