Re: Free pascal compiler for the 8051 family of microcontrollers

Igor: good work!

>Here is Turbo51 - a free > >pascal compiler for the 8051 family of microcontrollers: > > It will have to be VERY good to beat the commercial 8051 compilers.

are there any commercial Pascal compilers for 8051?

What other tools are availible for it? > Simulator, > Debugger > ICE > etc that can do source level debugging with your Pascal compiler.

Chris, you may be surprised, but when I wrote code in pascal back in the '80s I didn't need any of above, most of the "bugs" were removed during the compile time, i.e. if you assign variable with value out of range it will just not compile, thus if your code compiles well it have pretty good chances to eb bug free (exept the logic bugs in your algorithm)

all these goodies you quote above are more relevant when you write in C ;)

Best regards Tsvetan

Reply to
tusunov

In message , snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com writes

I meant the commercial C compilers. People will been a good reason to swap over from a C tool chain to a Pascal compiler.

I am not surprised you did not use them.

I have seen this sort of crap before. This assumes that the compiler was perfect...

The advantage Pascal had over C was the fact there was a standard validation suite and you could get Certified Pascal compilers. Thus you could be reasonably sure that some Certified compilers performed correctly to the standard. Some but not all. I will bet that this particular compiler has not been validated let alone Certified.

There are a couple of recognised test suites for C compilers (Perennial and Plum-Hall) and AFAIK all the serious commercial compiler companies use them. However there is no pressure in the industry to do so and there are certainly no Certified C compilers. There is little legal requirement for Certified C compilers. Though the safety critical market is putting some pressure on here.

Though of course few compilers actually implement the whole current C standard most sticking with the one from 1995 with some extensions

So you DO need to debug.... and dynamically not statically. SO you would need a Simulator, debugger or ICE

No more or less than with Pascal.

C usually requires static analysis which a good Pascal compiler would not otherwise the other tools are just as applicable.

Chris H

snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com schrieb:

JFTR:

Tilmann