Looking for cheap ARM7 development platform

Hi

The ARM7TDMI is embedded in so many devices; do you know of a consumer product that utilizes it, where I could attach a JTAG connector somehow and put uCLinux on it?

Ideally it would be a product with TP Ethernet, such as a router, DSL modem or firewall. I know about the story about Actiontec who provide a uCLinux adapted for CX82100 (its ARM940T core would be fine for my purposes as well), but can't buy that "Dual Modem" target anywhere here. Some SMC and Linksys routers are reported to use the CX82100 as well, but I haven't seen these from inside yet and don't know if JTAG is reachable on their boards.

Actually I'm looking for a device with a price about USD 100(!), to learn about the ARM7 or ARM9 architecture and about using uCLinux on it.

Best would be a device where documentation is available for every part of it, a JTAG connector could be easily put on the board, and Ethernet PHY and (ideally) a serial port are readily available...

Any hints, experiences, pointers? Thanks in advance

Kolja

Reply to
Kolja Waschk

You don't need to find a consumer product. Many ARM suppliers provide an eval board that is not overly expensive. I don't know that you will find any at $100, but there are ones available at $200. Try contacting Cogent about their new eval board for the OKI ARM MCU. I believe they have designed this board to be able to run Linix and I am being told it will cost $200.

--
Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
rickman

In comp.arch.embedded Kolja Waschk wrote: : Hi

: The ARM7TDMI is embedded in so many devices; do you know of a consumer : product that utilizes it, where I could attach a JTAG connector somehow : and put uCLinux on it?

: Actually I'm looking for a device with a price about USD 100(!), to learn : about the ARM7 or ARM9 architecture and about using uCLinux on it.

: Best would be a device where documentation is available for every part of : it, a JTAG connector could be easily put on the board, and Ethernet PHY : and (ideally) a serial port are readily available...

You can look at the many routers out there for the consumer that use the Samsung S3C4510B. i.e. CompUSA 4 port router, DLINK DI-614+ 11b AP, Compaq CP-2E and CP-2W, Linksys 11b AP v2.2 etc. Most of these boards are US$15 to US$50 on ebay. Use the Samsung SNDS100 demoboard build for uClinux on them. Most of the boards have JTAG, most have the connector for the UART (must use RS232 shifter) and some have the chip loaded or unloaded for the serial. Most of these products use the same basic HW design.

Look at the following sites:

There are plenty of other links in the sites above.

Here is a JTAG solution that works decent with the 4510B using a homemade parallel port adaptor if you dont have a real JTAG box. :). (PS I have modified the code to work with 29LV160s in 16 bit mode)

For a comercial board. Atmel make a ARM7 based board called the EB40A for about US$199.

--
Greg Holdren
greg (dot) holdren (at)  (dot) com

parallel port

work with 29LV160s in 16 bit mode)

about

But Samsung SNDS100 only have 1 mac(eth port)? How can it be used to be a router?

Reply to
thatbird

SNDS100 is just a reference design. The actual products are not the same, but somewhat similar - regarding uCLinux configuration.

E.g. ZyXEL P310/Netgear RT311 has a Realtek RTL8019AS MAC+PHY added to provide a second Ethernet port. The wireless access points mentioned by Greg come with a a wireless adapter (attached to processor bus via MiniPCI or PC Card connector); often based on TI chipset ACX100 or TNETW1100B.

Newer access points and routers utilize the Conexant CX84200 (former ADMtek ADM5106), which has 6 MAC units (5 with PHY for switch), or the ARM940T-based CX82100 with two MAC units. Unfortunately documentation for these isn't publicly available (except for a uCLinux adaptation from Actiontec for their Dual PC Modem, probably based on non-disclosed reference code from Conexant?).

Kolja

Reply to
Kolja Waschk

: But Samsung SNDS100 only have 1 mac(eth port)? How can it be used to be a router?

The SNDS100 uClinux build can be used on many Samsung based routers. Out of the box, it will have one ethernet interface enabled. Many of the routers that use the Samsung CPU will also have a 4/5 port 10/100 switch chip and some with an additional MACPHY combo, i.e. Realtek.

--
Greg Holdren
greg (dot) holdren (at)  (dot) com

an

I just got a Netgear RT311 via eBay for EUR16; it has the S3C4510 plus Realtek RTL8019AS. It comes with serial console port and the ZyNOS debug monitor that allows uploading to RAM via console port - and then starting execution at an arbitrary address.

Looks like the ideal platform for first steps :)

Kolja

Reply to
Kolja Waschk

Try the following: