GNU ARM Assembler - no support for SRS and RFE instructions?

The GNU ARM assembler doesn't appear to support SRS and RFE which are supported in ARM6 and higher I believe (I get "bad instruction"). I'm using version 2.16.1 with the option -marm7tdmi when I assemble. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Michael

Are these instructions valid on an ARM7TDMI which implements ARMv4T?

Your GCC version seems to be very outdated. I'm using version 4.4.0.

-- Regards, Richard.

    &
17 official architecture ports, more than 6000 downloads per month.

    Certified by TÜV as meeting the requirements for safety related systems.

Reply to
FreeRTOS.org

Op Thu, 28 Aug 2008 07:17:27 +0200 schreef Michael :

The ARM7 doesn't support these instructions. I guess you are confusing ARM6 with ARMv6. The GAS 2.16.1 does claim to support that.

http://www.opera.com/mail/
Reply to
Boudewijn Dijkstra

The assembler is part of binutils, which is currently on version 2.18, so 2.16.1 is not too old (the numbering of binutils is totally separate to that of gcc).

Reply to
David Brown

Boudewijn Dijkstra wrote:

Wikipedia has a table showing which cores implement which revision of the ARM architecture, e.g., the ARM7DTMI core implements the ARMv4T architecture.

According to that table, ARMv6 architecture is only used in the ARM11 and Cortex-M1 cores, so you won't get SRS and RFE instructions in an ARM7DTMI.

Reply to
Eric Smith