Need MicroControllers with built in USB Port and Protocol

Dear All I am working on a project where I need some MicroController with built in USB port and if possible Protocol is implemented too. If anyone of u knows something like this please let me know as I m already late in starting the project. Regards Moaxam

Reply to
Momo

I am assuming by "USB port" you mean USB device and not USB host.

A Google search would reveal that Freescale's HC08, Microchip's PIC and Atmel's AVR all have some models in the range with built in USB device.

You will have to check the manufacturer's website to see if they also come with a stack and to see which variants meet your (unstated) needs.

Simon.

Microsoft: Bringing you 1980's technology to a 21st century world
Reply to
Simon Clubley

LPC2292/94, LPC2368.

Reply to
jetq88

Take a look at Cypress' PSOC parts specifically the ones with USB built in. Their design tools (PSOC Express and PSOC Designer) are designed for rapid software development. The downside is you're guided into their way of doing things which just might suit your needs anyway. Their USB widgets have easy support for virtual COM ports.

JJS

Reply to
John Speth

not to hijack the thread, but what if he meant USB host? is this out there? possible?

Reply to
4MLA1FN

It's normally the high-end Arm9's that have USB host capability. But we're starting to see some Arm7's get OTG, which is On-The-Go support. OTG is quite similar to host mode. LPC24xx is one Arm7 family that can do it.

I don't know of any 8-bit or 16-bit processors that can do either OTG or Host mode, but maybe someone can chime in.

You also need to pay attention to the difference between "full speed" and "high speed". Most USB2 compliant chips can only do "full speed", which is much slower that you often expect from USB2. All serious bulk sotrage devices need "high speed".

Most MCU apps can live with simple serial port emulation, so any flavor of USB may be fine for that.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

"4MLA1FN" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

The AT90USB1287 has a USB OTG miniHost. This can connect to a single USB device, but not to a hub. The new UC3000 chips also have a miniHost but adds some more performance (60-80 MIPS).

If you want a real host, then one of the AT91SAM926x chips should do the job as well as many other ARM9s out there.

The AT91SAM7 only have device so far.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

Have a look at the Silicon Labs (SiLabs) processors with USB.

I have a C8051F340DK development board which comes with example source code for a few different projects.

Here is a link to the kit:

It's a nice evaluation tool for the price. The source code includes C code for both the PC and micro and by studying it, you will at least get a good head start.

Reply to
wertyBubbaGump Consulting

thank you both for these leads. i don't much about usb but i have a usb peripheral (a sensor that has only usb) i'd like to use. much to learn.

Reply to
4MLA1FN

FTDI has a serial Host Chip

Reply to
Neil

"Ulf Samuelsson" wrote in news:euuq13$m9o$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

Now you have me interested. What can be the difference between a mini-host and a "real host". To me it only means that the software is limited.

The motorola 823/850 was actually hardware limited, it took an interrupt on every NAK, and running on Linux meant that you could not realistically handle an interrupt more than once every few milliseconds. So in that case the 823 could be a host as long as you were guaranteed that the gadget would never nak.

However, a hub is the most compliant of all devices. How could a hub not work?

Reply to
Steve Calfee

"4MLA1FN" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

In this case, you need a host, not a device so the AT90USB1287 should be a good choice.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

I did not look too closely on this, but I assume that there are problems in handling multiple streams. If you connect a hub to the single stream, it is pretty useless, isn't it?

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

Latest Toshiba 32bit Cisc chip TMP92FD28 has USB2 Host controller. Also 512K of flash 32K ram. UK price is around 7 pounds in small quantities.

Regards Ian

Reply to
notavalidadd

"Ulf Samuelsson" wrote in news:ev0198$ta4$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

Well, a hub can be inserted for several reasons. For one it may be cheaper than an external phy. Also it may have better power control on its ports. If it is a high speed connection, a full speed device will never see other communications on its link (assume either multiple TT or single device on the hub). It may deal with suspend/resume or external wakeup better.

But in general, you are right a hub between a host and a slave does not contribute much.

I guess what I was saying is that the difference between single "streams" (your word) and multiple streams (ie a usb bus) is lack of a hub driver. However, a hub is the best, most well defined class. If a hub driver is not provided it is a crippleware package, ie they took support out of a regular stack to have a "usb lite" package.

Regards, Steve

Reply to
Steve Calfee

Yes and no, I do not know the details, but I assume that there may be H/W limitations as well. I believe that the stack used for the AT90USB1287 was written by Atmel and was not a downgraded stack.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

meddelandetnews: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

AT90USB1287 is too expensive as a device. Where can I get pricing data for AT90USB82? DigitKey has no info on it.

Reply to
linnix

It is too early, and the AT91USB162 will be available before the 82...

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

meddelandetnews: snipped-for-privacy@y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com...

162 is not in DigiKey either. I know 10K price is around $2 (162) and $1.5 (82). But customer wants to know 100s and 1K as well, before committing to a design. Will they be available in 6 months? I am trying to avoid an usb bridge, or an ASIC solution. Our current design is AT90USB128 ($7) and atmega329 ($5), but they are too expensive.

Next phase could be AT90USB162 ($2) + ASIC LCD ($2). I wish to stay with AVR, but I just can't flight the cost.

My dream chip is a 32 pins USB w/ LCD (12 segments x 4 common), as long as it stays below $5.

Reply to
linnix

meddelandetnews: snipped-for-privacy@y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com...

I tried very hard to convince client to go with Atmega329 (169 is obsolete). But I am going to fight harder to go without, since we don't need more than 8K flash.

Atmega329 is still the right solution for first pilot run, but not for final runs.

For now: AT90USB82 ($1.5 8K) + NXP PCF8576D ($1 LCD 40x4 seg) might work.

Do you think the USB82 would be ready in 6 months? If not, I might have to change again.

Reply to
linnix