Microsoft has been 'Hiring People Like Mad' for third-generation 'Xbox 720'

I think you should attempt to be extremely quiet, especially while cluttering the newsgroup with your excessive quoting. FYI the idea of quoting and snipping is to cut messages down to a size that is handleable, and to eliminate extraneous issues.

 [page]:
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
CBFalconer

Read the thread and compare my post with your obfuscation.

My Case rests

w..

CBFalc> Walter Banks wrote: ** and t> >> Ken Hagan wrote:

Reply to
Walter Banks

Chuck

If you are missing messages serious consider replacing your ISP. It essentially doesn't happen anymore.

w..

CBFalc> Ken Hagan wrote:

Reply to
Walter Banks

Please restrict your "do not t> Didi wrote:

Reply to
Didi
--
"And he sees the vision splendid
of the sunlit plains extended
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Peter K.

I don't really think you want to plonk Walter Banks.

 [page]:
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
CBFalconer

Why not?

Ciao,

Peter K.

--
"And he sees the vision splendid
of the sunlit plains extended
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Peter K.

Does the phrase "Cutting off your nose to spite your face" ring familiar?

Robert

Robert Adsett

Without commenting on this particular case, in general I have found that posts from those who insist on top- posting after being given a calm, clear explanation of the advantages of following social norms are almost always of low quality. My theory is that the kind of personality that refuses to learn from the following URLs is also the kind of the kind of personality that refuses to learn from most other sources. Not being willing to learn usually translates into ignorance, thus making insistence on top-posting an excellent diagnostic.

I just checked the last 1000 posts to comp.arch.embedded, and the contributions of this particular top-poster consisted of exactly one post that was useful (a note about using a single bit read-modify-write on a register that only accepts bite-wide writes) and three posts that consisted of arguments for top-posting that are refuted in the URLs below.

Because of the disconnect between those results and what CBFalconer wrote above, I expanded my search to the last

2000 posts. Surprisingly, I found two additional posts that were high-quality, on-topic, bottom-posted and with an appropriate amount of trimming.

They also contained a .sig mentioning Byte Craft. which cause me to think "Oh, *that* Walter Banks!" Until I saw the .sig I had not made the mental connection between the valued participant I knew and the top-poster I was seeing in the recent posts.

I am glad I searched 2000 posts rather than stopping at

1000 posts. What I thought was a typical top-poster with low-quality posts turns out to be a bottom-poster with high-quality posts who, for some unknown reason, responds to discussions about posting styles by top-posting, not using his usual .sig, and engaging in logical fallacies.

My guess is that he sees things like the following list of URLs to be an attempt to control him rather than what they were intended to be; a presentation of the reasoning behind the request.

I would encourage Walter (encourage - a polite request) to read the following URLs and examine the logical arguments presented in them.

"When thou enter a city, abide by its customs." -The Talmud

Quoting Style in Newsgroup Postings

How do I quote correctly in usenet?

Common Mistakes in Usenet Postings and How to Avoid Them

Bottom vs. top posting and quotation style on Usenet

Why bottom-posting is better than top-posting

+What do you mean "my reply is upside-down"?
Guy Macon
[... who cares what Guy Macon wrote ...]

Your posts are spam and the collection of truisms and nonsense. There is no single thread that you didn't stick your stupid comments in. Yet you do have time to parse 2000 messages.

I don't plonk CB or WB, but I have plonked you.

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

Are you a Christian ??

Reply to
donald

... snip ...

Another possibility is that there are two Walter Banks.

... snip ... Various useful URLs about top-posting etc.

Heavy snippage above.

 [page]:
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
CBFalconer

See Guy Macon's post. He covers it. Maybe there are two Walter Bankses?

 [page]:
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
CBFalconer

Guy,

I have looked at most of the URL's you posted and googled for the counter arguments pro and con as well.

As you have noted I post both ways. There is a argument for top posting where a thread is a conversation and each post has a small amount of technical content and the conversation moves on. Top posting in this context means that the thread is quickly read and context is carried from message to message.

There are many good technical threads here where each post is a short paper. The format I use is what is appropriate for the thread, mixed questions and answers, top or more likely a presentation at the bottom of the context.

News readers present threads in context weakening the argument requiring detailed context information. I don't know of a news reader that will take me to the start of new content in each message effectively eliminating the argument either way of top vs bottom.

I have been surprised at the lack of comments asking for changes to subject lines to reflect the changes in topic in thread.

Regards,

-- Walter Banks Byte Craft Limited Tel. (519) 888-6911

snipped-for-privacy@bytecraft.com

Reply to
Walter Banks

Walter,

good luck explaining the concept of brain usage to the posting format netguard squad... :-)

Dimiter

Walter Banks wrote:

Reply to
Didi

Once more, top-posted to all practical purposes, with attributions excised, in a generally uncooperative manner.

 [page]:
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
CBFalconer

Can I make a possibly ridiculous suggestion and say that maybe this discussion has gotten way out of hand and needs to end? If you guys were standing around the water cooler, someone would have told you to get back to work a long time ago.

At this point, is anyone saying anything that makes a difference to the others? Mostly I see words falling on relatively deaf ears, in the best case because they have already heard the arguments and made up their mind, in the worse case because they are po'd and aren't really listening to anything being said.

Is this conversation accomplishing *anything*???

Reply to
rickman

And even better luck explaining it to the cultists who not only insist that there is only one "correct" posting style, but that the style to use is their own mixed up non-standard style. Insisting on posting in your own style that messes up the flow of every thread and stands out in contrast to every other post on Usenet, shows even less brain usage than dedicated no-exception bottom posters.

Walter posts mostly at the bottom or with answers mixed with quotations, as appropriate. Occasionally top-post if that fits the flow of the thread better is not a problem - mindless top-posting, and mindless "my style is better than everyone else's style" posting, is what disrupts thread flows.

Reply to
David Brown

"... and I am not sure about the universe."

Dimiter

CBFalc> >

Reply to
Didi

Be aware, however, that if you refuse to follow social norms, some or possibly all of the readers will killfile you. If your goal is typing practice, that might be fine with you. If you wish to communicate, perhaps "Post wherever you like" isn't such a good plan.

It has been my experience that there are a few attributes of Usenet posters which are excellent predictors of whether future posts from them will be worth the effort of reading. Top-posters, those who engage in personal attacks and those who discuss politics/religion in technical newsgroups come to mind.

Reply to
Guy Macon