XBox Power Problems

What's amazing is the replacement power cord. It adds a plastic box with two buttons. It apparently has some sort of "arc fault interrupter" detector thing inside, to shut things down when the solder joints inside the Xbox crack and arc.

Incredible.

John

Has anyone been following the problems with the XBox power supply and their 'fix'?

I'm wondering what the UL has to say about the situation?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

So, Microsoft designs and fixes its hardware with the same skills they use to design and fix their software. Same ethics, too.

John

Mark Jones

Remember the TI 99/4A computer? TI had to retrofit the power supplies with a fuse because their supplier built them without any protection and they started several fires. Now they are being blamed for Fords catching on fire due to a pressure switch used on the cruise control. Brake fluid is getting into the contacts through the diaphragm.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"John Larkin" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Read an item in Sydney Morning Herald (Aus) today saying an X box exploded in Sweden (I think) with the new cord fitted.

--
John G

Wot's Your Real Problem?
Reply to
John G
[snip]
[snip]

Anyone who buys a Ford deserves it ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

So, putting a fuse in the line is (or has been) an acceptable fix from a safety standpoint. But what about the units that get fried? They still need to be repaired or replaced. Is Microsoft just buying time until they can claim that the units are obsolete and the customer should just get a new one? Or will they be obliged to repair the fried XBoxes forever?

A different 'they' I think.

I've seen one of these go up in flames. Its not a pretty sight.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Found On Road, Dead.

Fix Or Repair Daily.

But my Fiesta lasted 14 years. Wasn't built in Detroit, of course.

John

A number of people in Florida lost their homes when their Ford caught fire in their garage in the middle of the night and destroyed their homes. The first recall followed up on several news stories from a Orlando TV station.

BTW, did you hear about the collapse of a TI building? I think they were about to pour concrete when the pre-formed rebar collapsed today.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
 Click to see the full signature