interfacing with ISA or PCI soundcards

Hi Please,i would like to read something about controlling a soundcard with a microcontroller or FPGA,but i'm not able to find any link about,can you help me? thanks Diego

Reply to
blisca

Why don't you simply interface a codec to your MCU/FPGA?

Leon

Reply to
Leon

help

The fact is that i have some old soundcard aavilable,and it looks difficult to find the datasheet of the Ic's mounted on these boards,another reason is that a complete card has the ic mounted,with supplies,decoupling capacitor,look easier to do but it would be possible to use the codec,if if you can suggest me the link,the one i have mounts crystal,creative,yamaha ic's

Reply to
blisca

"blisca" ha scritto nel messaggio news:490d9c4f$0$1073$ snipped-for-privacy@reader2.news.tin.it...

with

you

difficult

is

I forgot to say thanks

Reply to
blisca

ith

ou

lt

is

The Si3000 is very easy to use, but only suitable for speech. I've used with a dsPIC.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

Running ISA cars from an an FPGA or micro implementing/emulating that bus interface is a reasonable project. Running PCI ones generally is not, unless the device you want to use has real PCI (master) interface capability (which is not unheard of, but it is more expensive. Also you'd have to be more careful of signal integrity).

To pursue the ISA path you will need some background information on the workings of the ISA bus and a programmers manual (or well documented driver source code) for the board you are interested in.

While you comment about power supplies and the like being provided is valid, do keep in mind that an ISA card is going to present a parallel interface (and probably be an ancient codec IC) while a modern codec IC will have a serial interface that means far fewer wires going to your fpga board.

Reply to
cs_posting

Try the gamedev.net links.

Reply to
Paul Urbanus

help

Thanks for your help , cs_posting and Paul .

Reply to
blisca