usb detection

Hello, Am a newbie in embedded designing and working on detection of usb devices and sending data mostly video to it for storage in Linux. Am using the c language. I would like to know if anyone can help me with what I need to know for my work and if there is a source code that can help me.

Thanks in advance.

najafa

I can't read your brain wave for the moment. Why don't you just try some of these:

mount /dev/sda1 /disk cp * /disk

Reply to
linnix

devices

Hi, thanks for that but I need to write the usb detection code myself because I have to save video data from a camera to it and be able to read the video data from the usb device on an LCD or other displays. Any help with that?

najafa

There is a standard (class) for video over USB. If your camera follows the standard, there is code available for that:

If it doesn't follow that standard, you'll either need to get details from the camera manufacturer or reverse engineer it.

Steve

Reply to
steve_schefter

Do you want to send real-time video over USB, or just save and retrieve files containing video data? In any case, start here and then buy Jan's book:

-- Joe

Reply to
J.A. Legris

read

Thanks Steve. I will check it out.

najafa

the

need

read

help

Hello Joe,

Thanks for the help. So grateful. Yes, I want to send real-time video over USB while streaming from the camera. Any suggestions?

I will check out Jan's book. Been to her website already but never checked her books.

Thanks again and all suggestions are most welcomed.

najafa

try

If you said that earlier, we would have been able to help you quicker. Anyway, first check the list of cameras supported by the kernel. Enable the driver supports in the kernel, as well as Linux for Video features. There are special system calls for picture/video capture available. Google for "Linux for Video".

linnix

The term you want is "Video4Linux" or "V4L".

Reply to
Nobody

using

=

myself

ove=

checke=

Hi Joe,

The part of streaming real video from the camera has already been done with Video4Linux. What is left is storing it whiles streaming on to the usb device and playing it later on an LCD. Still reading Jan's book; but any suggestions on this is still most appreciated.

Thanks.

najafa

:

just

3DA0

=3DA0

th

What usb device? Why can't you just store it in usb mass storage device?

Reply to
linnix

wrote=

us=

me.

=

t=

Any

=3D=

the=

video

=

wi=

any

Hi Linnix, Thanks for the questions. I want to write the program such that any device that has a usb interface and storage can be used to store the video data. That is why am not restricting myself to usb mass storage device.

Any inputs?

Thanks again for your concern.

najafa