How dot matrix printer can interface with 8051 compactible microcontroller

Hi friends, i want to interface dot matrix printer with 89v51rd2 microcontroller in my project,but currently i m unable to find any information about printer.can u guid me for this.

Reply to
krishna

Well you're stuffed then aren't you.

Reply to
Aly

Admittedly I do feel a bit bad for being so unhelpful. The point is, that if you don't know what sort of printer it is, then we can't tell you how to interface it.

Serial (not too common these days) , Parallel (not as common these days) , USB (don't ask me).

There are a number of standards but most likely associated with dot matrix printers will be the EPSON escape codes. These are VERY widely documented.

Google is your friend. If you can't even read the model number of the printer then you are well and truly stuffed.

I hope it works out, but do show some initiative.

Reply to
Aly

Implementing the parallel port (Centronics) interface with any microcontroller is not hard.

Since all good old matrix printers contain a character generator ROM, so if you want to print the letter 'A', just send the 0x41 to the port (the ASCII representation of A).

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

Like Aly has already said, knowing the model number of the printer and the interface type it is expected to be connected through would be helpful. Those of us who have been in the game a long time find that our crystal globes do not shine up like they used to anymore.

Your possibilities include:-

Centronics Parallel Interface

RS232C Serial Asynchronous

Proprietary Parallel Bus (usually on ribbon) for which information will only be available from the manufacturers.

USB is unlikely on a dot matrix as most printers these days seem to be ink-jet or laser.

Paul E. Bennett ....................
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy .....
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1235-811095