Does Atmel licensed AVR to others?

Any infos if Atmel licensed the AVR CPU to other chip manufacturers? I'm bothering with their current chips available (Only large pin-count etc.). Cheers - Henry

Reply to
Henry

20 pins is too large? rw
Reply to
Rein Wiehler

I thought they had 8 pin versions, no?

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

snipped-for-privacy@XYarius.com Ignore the reply address. To email me use the above address with the XY removed.

Arius - A Signal Processing Solutions Company Specializing in DSP and FPGA design URL

4 King Ave 301-682-7772 Voice Frederick, MD 21701-3110 301-682-7666 FAX
Reply to
rickman

In article , Henry writes

No... and it is not likely to happen IMHO. The world has gone ARM mad and for those who don't need ARM there is the multi source 8051.... It is unlikely that the AVR will go anywhere else.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.org

\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Reply to
Chris Hills

More to the point... 8 pins is too large? (ATtiny)

:)

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

Sorry. For the low pin-count I mixed my ARM ideas late-nite :) You're right with 8 pins. I know the AVR core is just 400 gates. So it should be possible to prog a FPGA for it...

- Henry

Henry schrieb in Nachricht ...

Reply to
Henry

Sorry. Read 4000 gates!

Henry schrieb in Nachricht ...

Reply to
Henry

"Henry" schreef in bericht news:3f90b26d snipped-for-privacy@news.arcor-ip.de...

right

Look at:

There is a link to an AVR-core.

More precisely:

Regards, Willem Ouwerkerk.

Reply to
w. ouwerkerk

I know opencores website. Unfortunately the project description is mostly empty? Or where is it? Speed? Lowest pin-count?

- Henry

w. ouwerkerk schrieb in Nachricht ...

Reply to
Henry

If you are asking if the AVR merchant uC family have a second source, then no. If you want second source (supply security), then choose the 80C51 family.

If you are asking if the AVR is avail as an ASIC core, then Yes - most of the AVR business is ASIC type in nature ( ROM/Vertical market etc), and the AVR was invented as an ASIC core. If that core was to be made in other than Atmel FABS, then that's likely to be just a matter of $$$.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

thanks Jim

Jim Granville schrieb >>

Reply to
Henry

Pin-count has nothing todo with the core. I think you need nothing more than Vcc, GND and Clock to run the core.

Reply to
Erik Hermann

FPGA and CPLD have many pins...

- Henry

Erik Hermann schrieb >> empty? Or where is it? Speed? Lowest pin-count?

Reply to
Henry

I would love to find another way of implementing an AVR ATMega32 running at 16 MHz. We have been seeing many errors at 16 MHz and especially burned in and heated up parts. CRC errors of flash memory...

Where can one find more info on the FPGA as described in opencores ?? thanks, boB

Reply to
boB

Why not use the FPSLIC? Runs at 25MHz.

- Henry

boB schrieb in Nachricht ...

etc.).

Reply to
Henry

Just how "burned in and heated up" ? I'd raise this with Atmel - they quote 16MHz in the data sheets.

Thus you need to see if your test conditions are inside their spec corner, and then see what they say. Could be a known issue, and wouldn't be the first time MHz has not quite hit the spec.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

How about price? That thing lists at $50, IIRC. I was also advised by an Altera FAE that not many are using it and it would be a bad thing to put in a new product. It may go away any time.

Henry wrote:

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
removed.

rickman

thanks. Yes, we are working with Atmel on this. I've tried and tried to find why it might be my implementation, (16MHz xtal, CKOPT, < 70C, 4 layer board etc.) but it is kind of pointing to a chip prloblem. clock and signals look great. Slowing the clock or xtal to lower frequency fixes the majority of the errors. boB

Reply to
boB

That's the point why I don't use them. The FPGA software is very costly for it ! But maybe FPSLIC is for specific problems the answer...

- Henry

rickman schrieb in Nachricht ...

I'm

Reply to
Henry

Does sound like a margin issue. You can also nudge Vcc for a 'second opinion', as the speed corner limit is Temp/Freq/Vcc related.

only the majority ?

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville