difference between the two?

whats the difference between linux and embedded linux??

Reply to
thesushant

The operating system itself is basicaly the same. "Embedded linux" usualy means a toolchain (compilers, libraries etc.) and stripped down applications such that the root file system have a small footprint. Sometimes there is some tools that help to build the root file system.

Have a loop at Embedded Linux Quick Reference Guides section at

, especially
.

The articles above are somewhat outdated but may be useful as a starting point. Cousulting The Oracle (Google) with the right words could give you even more tracks to follow.

HTH.

Elder.

Reply to
Elder Costa

hi, I am a new to this field but you can say that embedded Linux is a customized version of Linux that works over embedded system.

Fahad A. Al-Fattani Computer Engineer Mob: 0501 680 321 Saudi Arabia Jeddah 21444 P.O.Box 15362 snipped-for-privacy@scsj.org

Reply to
faf

Hi,

embedded Linux can run on microprocessors and microcontrollers without having to use a MMU (Memory Management Unit). "Regular" Linux followed in the latest version and can do that now as well. Myself coming from small embedded microcontrollers the difference between the two OSs is that one is incredibly huge and the other one outragesly huge, you figure out which is which. You can run a reasonable system using E-Linux with less than 10 MBytes of memory, where as memory better be mostly RAM, while Linux is not really happy without having double digits MBytes of RAM.

An Schwob

Reply to
An Schwob in USA

Your are mixing up Linux and uClinux. Embedded Linux != ucLinux.

I've read somewhere that one can have linux runing out of as low as 2MB of flash and 4MB of RAM. I have no idea if such a system would be very useful though. I how much smaller is uCLinux' footprint but I doubt it is significantly smaller.

Reply to
Elder Costa

Linux is sure bloated these days. I remember (ack, 12-13 years ago) running 0.14 on my 386SX with 2 MB of RAM. It ram out of 1MB, but the upgrade was worthwhile ;)

Kelly

Reply to
Kelly Hall

You are right,

sorry for the confusion. I was talking about uCLinux :-|

Reply to
An Schwob in USA

Who, and about what? See sig. below

What confusion? Did you say anything? See sig. below.

-- "If you want to post a followup via groups.google.com, don't use the broken "Reply" link at the bottom of the article. Click on "show options" at the top of the article, then click on the "Reply" at the bottom of the article headers." - Keith Thompson

Reply to
CBFalconer