Whats the difference between Magnetic & Crystal headphones?

Whats the difference between Magnetic & Crystal headphones?

I have an old tube tester which has a jack labeled "NOISE" I downloaded a manual for it and it says that is to hear noisy tubes. Then it says use MAGNETIC headphones, crystal headphones will NOT work.

I wont likely ever use this function, but I am curious......

My guess would be "magnetic" phones would have something like a speaker in them, and that all modern phones are made this way. (just a guess).

So what is a crystal headphone and how does that work?

Reply to
tubeguy

magnetic are either moving coil or moving iron. Google can soon explain how piezos & crystal earpieces work.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Magnetic headphones (like most earbuds) are low-impedance and have DC conductivity. Crystal headphones are high impedance (and are capacitive, kind of like a capacitor microphone in reverse), so have NO DC conductivity. The likely reason to use magnetic is that a DC path to ground is required to correctly bias some amplifier stage.

Absent a DC path to ground, some tube-type equipment outputs hundreds of volts, could be hazardous.

Reply to
whit3rd

Moving iron headphones were originally in the 1-8k ohm range, modern ones mostly 32 ohms. Crystals are odrers of magnitude higher impedance, much greater efficiency & dire sound quality. A DC path can be added using a resistor or choke.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

One works with electromagnetic force, the other works with piezoelectric force.

The first is low impedance and good for low frequencies, it uses current. The other is high impedance and good for high frequencies, it uses voltage.

With a typical 8-Ohm or 32-Ohm output, the crystal headphone is useless.

Reply to
Look165

cuit-Symbol.jpg

-Symbol.jpg

I have generally found it useful to give a picture along with an explanatio n - it makes the jargon more grounded, pun intended.

Top picture is a Piezo (crystal) transducer symbol. In the simplest of term s, bend a crystal, it will emit electricity. Apply electricity to a crystal , it will bend. But, as you may see from the symbol, there is no direct con nection between the two poles of the transducer.

A magnetic speaker, whether PM or Field Coil uses a voice-coil that is move d by changing AC voltages applied to the voice-coil. So the two poles are d irectly connected via the voice-coil. Yes, there is DC continuity - and as a rule, magnetic speakers do not like DC.

That the tube tester wants magnetic headphones indicates that it is a low c urrent output device. Given that most tube testers - pretty much a done-dea l after the 60s by way of design improvements - have no formal amplificatio n built in, a magnetic headphone makes more sense. What the "Noise Tester" is measuring is a sample from the anode load resistor and amplifying the ou tput to a speaker (or eye tube) - depending on the manufacturer.

Some testers have settings for this test that more resemble actual operatin g conditions, rather than "full throttle current" as typically done for lif e-test.

The above few lines from "sample" through "Life-test" are quotes.

However, there are all kinds of noise - usually in very small values.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

** The two facts are not related.
** See above.

** Utter nonsense.

In the 1960s, transistor radios and came supplied with crystal earpieces.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Those crystal diode radios we all built when I was a kid needed those earpieces. Had to wind wire on a tube, etc.

Now kids are probably doing SDR instead, at least the nerdy ones.

Reply to
Tim R