Decompiling "MS" drivers

Hi,

I've got some Kit that I want to repurpose. Of course, the hardware is undocumented; the software I'll gladly discard.

I think the devices are NT-based.

What's the easiest way to decompile the drivers for the devices in which I'm interested (assume I can find the associated files)? Ideally, an "offline" process (so I don't have to find NT-specific tools).

Best tools to do so? Ida Pro? Some MS beast?? (note: I don't care about salvaging the code -- just getting a feel for the hardware's "needs")

Thx,

--don

Reply to
Don Y

IDAPro definately. The other most important tool is to know how drivers are put together.

Ie. get the DDK for the era you expect the driver to be. Compile the sample driver closest to what you have, disassemble it. Now you have a sample that you can see source code and the result, that you can tackle the total unknown and find what is boilerplate driver code vs. code custom to the device in question.

--
Doug McIntyre
doug@themcintyres.us

Hmm... good point. OTOH, it means I've now got to chase down a20? year old DDK.

Reply to
Don Y

I second the IDAPro. It has been very useful ESPECIALLY for drivers. I've used it for that very thing in the past.

Reply to
WangoTango