Half bridge drivers, several questions

Thanks to many suggestions received here, I am a little clearer on the power side of the DC to AC inverting.

Now I am looking a little bit more on the driver side.

I am trying to figure out what is the best IC driver for my TIG welding inverter. As I learned yesterday, there are many choices. Ideally, I would like to find a chip that has a built in timer and can change width of high vs. low side as percentage of the oscillation period.

Less ideally, I could take a chip such as IR21094, and run it from a separate timer or a signal generator.

So, my first question is whether there is any chip that's easiest to use. I wonder why there are no chips (that I could find) that would have a built in oscillator (like IR2153) and drive a full bridge (like some other chips do) and have pulse width modulation also to set pulse widths for positive and negative pulse duration.

My second question is whether these chips produce negative voltage or zero voltage when they turn off a side of a bridge. The IGBT manual that I read said that it is better to stop current by applying negative voltage to the gate, rather than zero voltage. I could not figure it out from reading the chips' datasheets.

thanks, and if my questions are wrong, do not hesitate to point this out.

Ignoramus19740

I wonder if some of the 'Class D' audio amp chips from TI et al might suit?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Ian, do you have any specific chip in mind?

Note that a chip that would drive these IGBTs, would have to switch them quickly.

As of right now, I am looking at IR2109 chip, myself.

thanks

Ignoramus19740

I was meaning to generate the PWM signal, from a 'audio' source (which in this case would be a control voltage).

Reply to
Ian Stirling