HP "owning" the software for Xilinx-FTDI drivers???

Someone new on the project is talking about how HP owns the driver code for
 the FTDI JTAG chip used to program Xilinx parts.  Has anyone heard of this
?

Even if that is true, I'm not sure how relevant it is.  Is there some issue
 with HP owning the software for FTDI devices even if that is true?  Why wo
uld it matter to a user of Xilinx FPGAs???

I did try getting an answer and failed.  The guy bringing it up is from a b
ackground of big dollar development and I don't know if there was some sort
 of IP ownership issue.  I can't see how it would impact us even if there w
ere.  I really can't imagine anyone other than FTDI owns the drivers for th
e FTDI chips, but maybe there's some sort of JTAG software involved.

Sometimes it is strange working with strangers.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: HP "owning" the software for Xilinx-FTDI drivers???
or the FTDI JTAG chip used to program Xilinx parts.  Has anyone heard of th
is?
ue with HP owning the software for FTDI devices even if that is true?  Why
would it matter to a user of Xilinx FPGAs???
 background of big dollar development and I don't know if there was some so
rt of IP ownership issue.  I can't see how it would impact us even if there
 were.  I really can't imagine anyone other than FTDI owns the drivers for
the FTDI chips, but maybe there's some sort of JTAG software involved.

standard ftdi chips can talk jtag with the standard ftdi driver, you just h
ave
to make you own code to drive it and it won't work from inside the xilinx t
ools

I know digilent has a jtag based on ftdi that works with Xilinx tools
and is often part off xilinx boards (redacted from the schematic), it
requires something special in the ftdi eeprom to load their driver and
software instead of just being an ftdi device, basically to verify that it

is a licensed digilent programmer and not just a generic ftdi bought from d
igikey

Re: HP "owning" the software for Xilinx-FTDI drivers???
On Tuesday, October 27, 2020 at 5:43:10 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com
 for the FTDI JTAG chip used to program Xilinx parts.  Has anyone heard of
this?
ssue with HP owning the software for FTDI devices even if that is true?  Wh
y would it matter to a user of Xilinx FPGAs???
 a background of big dollar development and I don't know if there was some
sort of IP ownership issue.  I can't see how it would impact us even if the
re were.  I really can't imagine anyone other than FTDI owns the drivers fo
r the FTDI chips, but maybe there's some sort of JTAG software involved.

 have
 tools

Your own code to drive it?  That's pretty rad, but I think I understand wha
t you are saying.

 digikey

I think Trenz has some interface board with the FTDI chip and a small FPGA
(not for the user to muck with, but for the module operation) that costs a
few bucks more for Xilinx capability.  I guess this is what they are talkin
g about, something special to work with the Xilinx drivers.  I guess Xilinx
 has some detail they will share under license to add this capability to yo
ur boards.

I still have no idea what he is talking about regarding this being "HP" IP.
  I'm starting to get tired of the guy.  He seems to really want to deep si
x the Gowin part even though the Xilinx part will cost four times as much a
nd take up twice the board space or require more expensive board fabricatio
n.

I'm starting to get tired of this guy.  I guess this is what to expect from
 part time help...

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: HP "owning" the software for Xilinx-FTDI drivers???
de for the FTDI JTAG chip used to program Xilinx parts.  Has anyone heard o
f this?
 issue with HP owning the software for FTDI devices even if that is true?
Why would it matter to a user of Xilinx FPGAs???
om a background of big dollar development and I don't know if there was som
e sort of IP ownership issue.  I can't see how it would impact us even if t
here were.  I really can't imagine anyone other than FTDI owns the drivers
for the FTDI chips, but maybe there's some sort of JTAG software involved.

st have
nx tools
hat you are saying.

if you just want to configure a part it is pretty straight forward, but if

you want to talk to a build in logic analyser, program one time fuses witho
ut ruining boards, and all the other things the tools can do I'm sure it ca
n get pretty hairy

Re: HP "owning" the software for Xilinx-FTDI drivers???
On Tuesday, October 27, 2020 at 8:03:33 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com
code for the FTDI JTAG chip used to program Xilinx parts.  Has anyone heard
 of this?
me issue with HP owning the software for FTDI devices even if that is true?
  Why would it matter to a user of Xilinx FPGAs???
from a background of big dollar development and I don't know if there was s
ome sort of IP ownership issue.  I can't see how it would impact us even if
 there were.  I really can't imagine anyone other than FTDI owns the driver
s for the FTDI chips, but maybe there's some sort of JTAG software involved
.
just have
linx tools
 what you are saying.
hout ruining boards, and all the other things the tools can do I'm sure it
can get pretty hairy

I'm just trying to figure out what this guy was talking about saying that H
P owned the software.  I would expect either FTDI or Xilinx would own it.
He never answered me when I asked why it mattered.  I think he is trying to
 find some reason to nix the approach we are taking with the FPGA on this p
roject.  He's also seems to be digging to find things with the Gowin chip t
hat he can object to.  Or maybe I am just being paranoid.  I guess I find s
ome of his comments weird and don't know what to make of it.

The trouble is we don't have a bunch of funding to pull off this project an
d the mechanical engineers have to spend a fair bit on the stainless steel
cabinet.  So we are trying to get the boards made for free by JLCPCB.  We'l
l have to assemble the parts they don't carry, but they have offered to mak
e some of our boards with the parts they do carry.  That's pretty generous.
  I hope they stick to that when they see the updated board.  It's 100x200
mm and will end up pretty full of parts.

--

  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: HP "owning" the software for Xilinx-FTDI drivers???
@Rick

I can now confirm that a blank FTDI FT2232H chip will work with the
Gowin tools and will program a GW1N-9 via JTAG, either SRAM or the on
chip Flash.

one resistor to disable the on board eeprom (may not have been necessary).

I blogged a bit about the project here:

https://www.element14.com/community/groups/fpga-group/blog/2020/10/29/another-cheap-and-simple-fpga-board

There is a bit of explanation and some pictures.

MK

Re: HP "owning" the software for Xilinx-FTDI drivers???
code for the FTDI JTAG chip used to program Xilinx parts.  Has anyone heard
 of this?
me issue with HP owning the software for FTDI devices even if that is true?
  Why would it matter to a user of Xilinx FPGAs???
from a background of big dollar development and I don't know if there was s
ome sort of IP ownership issue.  I can't see how it would impact us even if
 there were.  I really can't imagine anyone other than FTDI owns the driver
s for the FTDI chips, but maybe there's some sort of JTAG software involved
.
 just have
ilinx tools
nd what you are saying.
t if
[...]

ed
.
ther-cheap-and-simple-fpga-board

Great!  I appreciate the heads up.  I think most of the resistance to using
 the Gowin devices is behind us, but was just asking about "ILA" which I su
ppose means the software logic analyzer.

We may have some long logic chains that will have a bit of trouble with 33
MHz, but the in general we are using enables of 1 ms and slower.  So timing
 just should not be an issue except on the timing counters and the bits doi
ng some math in the MACs.

I do worry a bit about the poor documentation.  This guy found a line that
said the dual ported rams don't support true dual port mode in this and a f
ew other parts.  The contact said that's only in the parts prior to rev C.
 The docs just aren't up to date or even very accurate.  The guides say to
instantiate, but there is example code (in Verilog) in one that doesn't mat
ch the circuit diagram or even the port signals in the code provided by the
 IP generator tool.

I ended up writing something pretty generic that should match the semi-dual
 port which is what I need for this part of the design.  It synthesized no
problem.  I believe to use the -9 parts you need to select -9C.  There are
some other chips that you specify the C revision too.

So far I'm very pleased that they have someone to answer my stupid question
s.  He has to contact the mother ship for some of them, but I get answers..
. that I like.  First of the year I would have been learning Verilog, lol.