Solid "foam" choices

Hi,

I have several "cases" that I'd like to convert into carrying cases for various tools that seem to keep multiplying around here. (primarily hand tools)

I figure all I need to do is find some reasonably stiff "foam" in which I can cut holes to set the individual tools in, then place these in the cases. Not as good as a case made *specifically* for a particular tool but a lot better than storing tools in generic cardboard boxes!

Most of the "foam" I've encountered at craft stores is just that -- foam. Spongey. It should be easy to manipulate but I doubt it will offer much support to the tools once the case is closed and carried off.

[Styrofoam is too "brittle" IMO. But, reasonably "firm"]

The carrying case for one of my LCD projectors has a "foam filler" that seems perfect. *Looks* like styrofoam (contrast that with the sort of foam with which you would stuff a seat cushion) but rubbery-er. And black.

I.e., unlike the "seat cushion foam", it has very little "give" (just like styrofoam). Unlike styrofoam, it doesn't fall apart when abused!

Suggestions as to what I could use and where I might find it?

Thx,

--don

Reply to
Don Y

Den torsdag den 5. december 2013 19.49.31 UTC+1 skrev Don Y:

layers of sleeping pad ?

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Go to an upholsterer's supplier and buy polyurethane foam of the appropriate density.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I thinnk that is likely to be the same sort of "spongey foam" that I've found at craft stores -- various thicknesses, various stiffness. But, none would hold up to, for example, cradling a

10 pound sledge hammer, circular saw, sawzall, etc. [yes, they would keep it from bouncing around in the case, but the "foam" would quickly show signs of deformation]

The stuff I'm looking for is more like styrofoam in appearance and consistency (your foam looks like a bunch of little bubbles welded together; styrofoam looks like a bunch of little *blobs* welded together (sorry, I can't come up with a better way of describing them -- look at them side by side....). But, the stuff I'm after is much rubberier than styrofoam. It doesn't "chip off" like styrofoam does when you "pick at it".

I should see how well it photographs -- though that still wouldn't convey its texture, mechanical properties, etc. But, you could see how "hard" an edge it holds, that you could pour water on it and it wouldn't seep in, that I can set a 10 pound sledge on it you'd not be able to tell *where* it sat *while* it was there or after it had been removed! (i.e., REALLY stiff)

Reply to
Don Y

The first one I'm sure is the wrong sort of foam -- it's very much like the stuff they sell in craft stores to make cushions.

Second one I am assuming is similar -- just sliced and diced differently?

Think of (or, better yet, *hold* a piece in your hand!) that sort of foam. Then, think of styrofoam. They are very different in terms of their physical characteristics. I.e., styrofoam isn't *intended* to be elastic. When you exceed a certain pressure, it deforms permanently. The other foam "always" deforms under load -- yet returns (normally).

What I'm looking for is closer to styrofoam but less flimsy. It feels like it has rubber in it -- though looks much like styrofoam (and not at all like the springy/spongey foam.

Said another way, I could cut styrofoam (and this stuff I am looking for) with a sharp knife. The foam you cite above would tend to deform under the pressure of that knife! (you'd need a heated blade or an *extremely* sharp blade to cut along an intended "line")

I need to see if this photographs well...

Reply to
Don Y

And a real upholstery supply has PU foam that is that stiff; not just the squishy stuff. Floral supply has another stiff-foam variant, but it's generally white or green.

However, a fully form-fitted stiff solution is also available. Two sheets of plastic film larger than the case, and a can of spray PU - Great Stuff (tm) or the like. Spray case, lay film, lay tools, lay film, spray top of case, close, wait. A few vent holes will make the need to judge the proper amount of foam slightly less picky - cut off what boils out. You can even get black, if you want it. DON'T get latex "foam."

Ecnerwal

The foam you describe is what I find when I buy military surplus transit cases. I have never seen it at a foam shop. But the foam shop I use gets pretty close, and I prefer a softer foam anyway.

I saw the suggestions about an upholstery shop, and that is where I wouldn't go. In most industrial areas, they have foam shops that stock a variety of foams.

Granger has foam, but you probably won't like the price. You are better off finding a local foam shop and eventually one will have what you want.

The shop I use cuts to spec. I glue the foam to the case using a 3M spray on glue. Super 77 will work.

Reply to
miso

The stuff you want is one of the Stratocell polyethylene foams used to cushion expensive gear in transit from the likes of UPS jugglers.

See for example:

Regards,
Martin Brown
Reply to
Martin Brown

You're thinking of latex foam. It's rubbish. Ask for high-density PU foam and you'll get what you want.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Here in Australia, it's about a half the price, and three times the quality of what you can get elsewhere. It's where good auto trimmers and professional re-upholsters go, so it's sold at trade prices.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

I've never bought any military surplus cases. But, this would be in the same category as an "equipment case" for a relatively high end piece of kit. *Heavy* kit. E.g., I have carrying cases for professional microphones that are filled with the "spongey" foam that I mentioned. It's appropriate, there, as the microphones are pretty lightweight.

I will contact some of the hits google turned up for "foam" later today. I can always bring in what I have as a sample and say, "Gimme some of this" or "Can you tell me what the heck this is?" However, I don't expect to get much in terms of results.

There's a Grainger in the general part of town I'll be in. I can always stop in and see if they have the equivalent product, regardless of price. Then, jot down what they *call* it and use that to locate another vendor.

This stuff is so rigid that I suspect I can almost *wedge* it in place! E.g., When I pulled it out (despite the adhesive), I've been able to push it right back into place, turn the case upside down, shake it, etc. It *really* doesn't like being compressed so squeezing it just a little (to get it past whatever "lip" surrounds the case top/bottom) and then letting it return to its normal size seems to hold it in place well.

Reply to
Don Y

Hi Don, We have use this stiff but 'plasticy' white foam. It's easy to cut, but holds up to all sorts of pressure.

No sledge hammers here, but some pictures

I can't find the name of the foam right away.. but if that's what you are looking for I can contact our packaging people and see what's it's called. It comes in various thicknesses and we sometime 'glue' pieces together.

George H

Reply to
George Herold

It sounds like you are looking for polyethylene foam.

Polyurethane foam is usually quite fragile, and turns to crumbs. Polyurethane foam can also revert to urethane resin, a gooey mess.

The black stuff is probably carbon loaded polyurethane.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

I built an optical bench out of that cuttable packaging foam.

Rigidity isn't everything.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
 Click to see the full signature

I deliberately didn't downsample the photos so you can zoom in to see a bit more detail. Black on black tends to be a bit vague...

Reply to
Don Y

I'm not hopeful -- but I will try. I can't imagine this stuff being used in any sort of "compressible" application! It's just too stiff. (Can you imagine using styrofoam in that way?)

Reply to
Don Y

I'm not sure. I thought polyethylene foam was more homogenous. See my photos elsewhere this thread.

I'm not sure if the color isn't just for cosmetic reasons (?)

Reply to
Don Y

--
Your wife must be an extraordinarily tolerant person.
Reply to

The problem is upholstery shop foam is too soft. We can get that foam at Wal-Mart. For light stuff, that is what I use.

For a lot of mobile radios/scanners, the USAF night vision transit boxes are just about the right size as is.

I have half a dozen of these cases. I got them at a swap meet for $6, but Murphy's price isn't all that bad. Every one I got is air tight. I can barely open them after dropping in altitude.

Reply to
miso